Generic filters

On this page you will find advice and support for vulnerable people in Portsmouth.

If you are in need of additional support during the coronavirus outbreak please visit the HIVE website or call the HIVE Portsmouth helpline on 023 9261 6709 (9am-5pm Monday to Friday).

If you need medical help, call the NHS on 111. If it is a medical emergency, call 999.   

Clinically extremely vulnerable people

If you have been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) from coronavirus you are no longer advised to shield, as of 1 April 2021.

From July 19 (as Step 4 of the government roadmap begins) people who are CEV are advised, as a minimum, to follow the same guidance as everyone else.

It is really important that you have both your first and second dose of the coronavirus vaccine, and that other members of your household get vaccinated to lower your chances of catching COVID-19. You may also be offered a booster dose over the comings month to further increase your level of protection, and you should take this when it is offered to you.

You may wish to think carefully about additional precautions you could take such as limiting close contact with those you do not usually meet, especially:

  • in crowded spaces, where there are more people who might be infectious
  • in enclosed indoors spaces where there is limited fresh air
  • when COVID-19 disease levels are high in the general community.

You may also wish to consider:

  • meeting outside if possible
  • making sure the space is well ventilated if you meet inside
  • asking people who visit you indoors to wear a face covering
  • checking whether you and those you are meeting have been vaccinated
  • washing your hands regularly and avoid touching your face
  • continuing to practise social distancing if that feels right for you
  • asking friends and family to take a lateral flow test before visiting you
  • going to the shops and pharmacy at quieter times of day.

From 19 July the government is no longer instructing people to work from home. However you employer still has a legal responsibility towards you and should be able to explain measures they have in place to keep you safe at work.

Furlough and the self-employment income support scheme (SEISS) have been extended to 30 September 2021 and you may continue to be eligible until then. But statutory sick pay (SSP) and employment and support allowance (ESA) won’t be available, on the basis of being advised to shield, from 1 April. If you need support to work at home or in the workplace you can apply for Access to Work.

Remember, the NHS is open, and you are urged to continue to access all the NHS services you need. Make sure that your GP as your up-to-date contact details including your home address, so that you can be contacted quickly in case this guidance changes again in the future.

Privacy notice
We may contact people who are clinically extremely vulnerable with advice and information. The Government collects information across England on people who are extremely vulnerable in relation to the COVID-19 virus and shares this information with the council so that we can provide services and support and carry out our Public Health duties. We undertakes to:

  • access and process the information only for the purpose of delivering services under the Coronavirus Act 2020
  • comply with data protection legislation at all times and only process the information for as long as is necessary to deliver the service
  • only share or allow access to the information where it is strictly necessary and lawful as allowed by Government.

Read Portsmouth City Council’s data protection privacy notice. If you have any questions or concerns you can email the council data protection team at or call the council customer service team on: 023 9282 2251.

If you are pregnant

If you are pregnant, as a minimum, you should follow the same guidance as everyone else. If you are more than 27 weeks pregnant, or if you are pregnant and have an underlying health condition that puts you at a greater risk of severe illness from COVID-19 at any point in pregnancy, you may want to consider limiting close contact with with people you do not normally meet with regularly in order to reduce the risk of catching COVID-19. You can find further advice on pregnancy and coronavirus (COVID-19) on NHS.UK.

If you are pregnant or considering pregnancy and haven’t yet been vaccinated, you are advised to get vaccinated as soon as possible, and to book your second dose as soon as you are eligible. You can find further advice on pregnancy, breastfeeding, fertility and coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination on NHS.UK.

Care home residents

If you wish to visit a loved one in one of our care homes, please call the home and speak to the duty manager beforehand to check what the current process is for that care home, as it may vary across different homes. For more information about our care homes see Care homes – coronavirus information.


Many carers look after people who are vulnerable, so it’s particularly important to follow the Government’s latest health advice.

If you receive carers allowance or you’re already registered with your GP as an unpaid carer then you should receive an invitation to book a vaccination appointment. If you don’t receive this allowance or your GP doesn’t know you have this role, then you can now check you are eligible and book a vaccine on the national booking website.

If you need help with this, or anything else to do with your caring role, please do get in touch with the Carers centre (details below).

Contingency plan
If you are a carer and feel that you may need to forego your care duties due to any illness, now is a good time to put a contingency plan in place. It is also a good time to make cover arrangements with trusted neighbours, friends or family members. Read Care UK’s advice on creating a contingency plan or contact the carers centre for guidance (see below).

Carers Centre

The Portsmouth Carers Centre provides support and guidance to carers in Portsmouth. You can get in touch with us by phone on 023 9285 1864 or email

GOV.UK: Guidance for those who provide unpaid care to friends or family

Important contact numbers

  • Adult social care helpdesk – 023 9268 0810 (8.30am-5pm Monday to Thursday, and 8.30am-4.30pm Friday – outside of these hours this number will direct you to our out-of-hours service)
  • HIVE Portsmouth – 023 9261 6709 (9am-5pm Monday to Friday) – for people who are in need of support, including food, medicine deliveries and welfare checks. If you struggle to get in touch with us due to a communication difficulty or a disability, you can now text us at 07860027785. Please include your name, a brief description of your support need, and whether you would like us to give you a call back or send you an email. If you prefer an email response, please also provide your email address.
  • Childline – 0800 1111 (freephone) – If you are 19 or under and have any concerns. No problem is too big or small. You can speak to a counsellor straight away
  • Domestic abuse advice and support – 023 9206 5494 (9am-9pm Monday to Friday) – Visit the Stop Domestic Abuse website. If you or someone else is in immediate danger please call the police on 999.
  • Out of hours social work – 0300 555 1373 – Supporting professionals and the public outside of normal working hours with any social care issues. If you are hard of hearing or deaf, please call 07465 205 102
  • Victim Care Service – 0808 178 1641 – Supporting victims of crime and scams. There is also a live chat service on the Victim Care Service’s website.

For medical advice please call the NHS helpline 111 and for medical emergencies 999.

Food for homeless people

You can find information about where homeless people can get food on our ‘Getting help and volunteering’ page.

Health and wellbeing advice

Our advice for residents page has more information about health and wellbeing.