Plan your trip
- Check government guidance if you feel unwell and only go to shops if it is safe for you to do so.
- Plan the best way to travel – if possible walk or cycle. Check our guidance for more information.
- Check the website of shops and shopping centers to avoid disappointment as some shops may be allowing access by appointment only – please check their website or social media before visiting to avoid disappointment.
- Consider the time of day when you go shopping and avoid peak times.
- Give yourself plenty of time as you may need to queue
- Follow government guidance: social distance, wear a face covering when inside if possible, wash your hands.
- If shops have staff managing the queue please follow their advice
- Queue considerately and be aware of other people using the footpaths.
- Be kind to those around you. You don’t know what they have been through in the past couple of weeks.
- Follow guidance from shops – this may include a limited number of people in store and signs telling you which way to go.
- Only touch the items you are going to buy where possible.
- Be patient with the person serving you as they are having to get used to new ways of working.
- If possible make payments with cards or contactless payment.
Further sources of information