Generic filters

Portsmouth City Council operates a local Covid-19 contact tracing service. This allows us to contact residents who have tested positive for coronavirus when the national contact tracing team has been unable to reach them.

We use our own locally-stored contacts and other council-managed information to help reach people more quickly and increase the number of people successfully traced. This will help reduce the spread of infection and protect us all.

How you can help

  • If you test positive for coronavirus, self-report your close contacts and activities when NHS Test and Trace send you a link to do so. If you’re unable to self-report, please respond to calls from the Local Contact Tracing Service (02392 68 7000).
  • Let us know if you need support to help you self-isolate.

If you’re aged 70 years or over and we can’t reach you, we can send a community volunteer Contact Tracer to your address to check if you’re aware of the need to self-isolate. They’ll be able to show you proof of who they are and why they are calling, which you’ll be able to verify. They will only call during the service’s weekday opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
  • Saturdays and Sundays between 10am and 4pm.

A step by step guide

  • If you test positive for coronavirus, your details will be referred to the local Portsmouth City Council contact tracing team.
  • Each day, Portsmouth City Council will receive a list of people to contact.
  • The local contact tracing team will try to contact you by using different numbers and emails we hold for you on our systems. This will improve our chances of reaching you.
  • A Portsmouth area code telephone number is being used for these calls so will show up on your mobile when we call you or in your missed calls log. To assure you the call you’ve received is not a scam the number is 023 9268 7000.
  • We’ll advise you on what to do next and update the national NHS Test and Trace system. The national NHS Test and Trace system will contact the people you’ve been in close contact with.
  • We will also ask if you need any support or help, for example, advice on self-isolation payments for those on low incomes, or with the delivery of medicines and prescriptions.
  • If you’re aged 70 years or over and we can’t reach you or you don’t return our call, a community volunteer Contact Tracer will visit your address to check you are aware of the need to self-isolate.
  • When there are higher numbers of people testing positive in the city, you may be called by the national NHS Test and Trace team rather than the local service.

Please continue to follow the guidance:

  • wash your hands regularly
  • use face coverings in crowded spaces to protect yourself and others
  • keep a social distance
  • get tested if you have symptoms
  • do bi-weekly rapid lateral flow tests when you don’t have symptoms

Keep going with Hands, Face, Space, Fresh Air.

If you can, download the NHS Covid-19 app

To check whether you’re eligible and to apply for a test and trace support payment visit:

If you’re not online you can call 023 9261 6708 for help with your application.

To find up-to-date coronavirus safety advice as well as information on where to go for practical help, money advice and support services visit or call 023 9283 4092 (9am – 4pm Monday to Friday).

There is further financial advice and support available in the following places:

  • On the Portsmouth City Council website you can find out more about sick pay, help with council tax and food banks.
  • Advice Portsmouth offers free, confidential advice on bills, benefits, debt and employment call 023 9279 4340, text 07789 550593 or email
  • Citizens Advice Portsmouth can help you check you’re receiving all the benefits you’re entitled to, call 0800 144 8 444 or use the online webchat. You can also use the free online benefits calculators at
  • Portsmouth City Council tenants can get money advice through the housing office. If you are a housing association tenant, your housing officer may be able to help.
  • HIVE Portsmouth can connect you with the help you need – from support with food or school uniform, to mental health support or legal advice.
  • There is support available to students who are self-isolating through the University of Portsmouth.