The Economic Development, Culture and Leisure scrutiny panel recently undertook a review called ‘Making community ownership work for Portsmouth’. The panel’s work was a response to the implementation of the Localism Act and the growing number of community ownership projects in Portsmouth.
Its recommendations were accepted by the Cabinet on the 3rd June 2013. Read the panel’s full report and the Cabinet’s response in the Associated Documents below.
The programme of Community Ownership Unit Portsmouth events starting October 2013 will comprise:
- A monthly networking session with a short presentation from a partner agency and an ‘open floor’ section to allow groups and individuals to explore ideas and to test council processes
- Fortnightly community ownership-focused discussions on our dedicated Linked-iN group
- Ad-hoc ‘challenge panels’ drawn from partner organisations to help constructively test and develop new community ownership ideas
- An ‘open book’ signposting and advice process that provides an outline of appropriate support which is available from partner agencies in the city
- Volunteer and internship opportunities aimed at building additional capacity for community groups
If you would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone James Sandy, Communities Engagement Manager on 023 9268 8559.