Fraud is not a victimless crime. It has an impact on the community. We have a team that will investigate reports of suspected fraud that appear to have been committed against the council.

Benefit fraud

If you think someone is committing benefit fraud you can report it online to the government’s Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Blue badge fraud

If you suspect misuse of a disabled parking blue badge, please contact us and provide as much information as possible, such as:

  • Why do you suspect misuse or fraud?
  • the blue badge serial number and expiry date
  • details of the vehicle in which the badge is being displayed
  • the location of the vehicle.

It is important to us that we receive notification of any abuse of the blue badge scheme. We will investigate the matter and consider what action, if any, can be taken.

You can report blue badge fraud online.

Council Tax fraud

Council tax fraud happens when someone provides false information to us to avoid paying the correct amount of council tax. This means there is less money available to help provide vital services for residents and businesses in our area.

Types of council tax fraud include:

  • claiming to live in a single-person household to get the single person discount when more than one person lives in the household
  • pretending to be a student to get the student discount when someone is not a student
  • claiming a property is unoccupied and unfurnished
  • failing to tell us that a claim for a council tax reduction is needed

You can report Council Tax fraud online.

Direct care payment fraud

Direct care payments are issued to assist with the provision of care. Fraud may occur if the funds are used inappropriately to support non-care provisions.

Do you know someone who is misusing their direct care payment?

You can report direct care payment fraud online.

Housing tenancy fraud

Housing tenancy fraud prevents people with a genuine need from being appropriately housed by the council.

Types of tenancy fraud include:

  • renting a council home without permission
  • moving out and renting a council home to someone else (sub-letting)
  • living in a property after someone has died, without the right to do so
  • permanently living somewhere else
  • leaving a property empty without notifying us
  • being offered a council home as a result of providing false information
  • failing to tell us about a change of circumstances that may affect a tenancy

You can report housing tenancy fraud online.

Other types of fraud

Do you want to report any other fraud that you suspect is being committed against us and is not listed on this page?

You can report other types of fraud to Action Fraud.