Top tasks

General information

If you pay rent to live in your home and have a low income, you may be able to receive help by claiming housing benefit. On this page you will find links to all of our forms and information about housing benefits.

There is also information about:

Further information is available on Gov.UK. You can also find more information about financial support on our help and support page.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Return to the benefits and support homepage or contact us.

Contact us

If you still have a query, you can contact us online or find the housing benefit number in the contacts directory.

If you wish to apply for housing benefit, don’t delay in making your claim whether you’re a private, housing association or council tenant.

Apply for housing benefit online, or alternatively call or email the benefits service to register your intention to claim, including your name, address, phone number and national insurance number – your eligibility is considered from the day we receive your call, email or application form.

When size limit rules don't apply

There are certain circumstances where the size limit rules will not be applied:

  • State pension credit age – If you are over state pension credit age or have a partner over state pension credit age
  • Non-Mainstream accommodation – If you pay mooring charges for house boats and site charges for caravans and mobile homes as well as various “excluded tenancies”
  • Temporary accommodation – If you have been accepted as homeless under homelessness legislation of the Housing Act 1996 and placed in temporary accommodation by the local authority
  • Shared ownership – If you part own/part rent your home
  • Supported “exempt” accommodation – If you live in a property run by housing associations or charities which provide care/support or supervision.