Generic filters

If you or your partner is over pension age, and the other is working age, check now if you are entitled to Pension Credit or Housing Benefit, before the rules change on 15 May. Check your benefit entitlement online.

From 15 May, mixed age couples who are not already claiming Pension Credit or Housing Benefit will only be able to make a claim for Universal Credit.

Check if you are entitled to claim Pension Credit and Housing Benefit before 15 May, using an online benefit calculator, or by contacting one of the local advice services listed below.

If you are entitled, make your claim for Pension Credit or Housing Benefit as soon as possible.  Even if you are only entitled to a small amount, it’s important to apply now in case your situation changes in the future.  You could be up to £7,000 per year better off on Pension Credit compared to Universal Credit.

Where to find help

If you are a Portsmouth City Council tenant, contact your local housing office, where you can get specialist benefits advice.

Anyone else can visit Advice Portsmouth for free and confidential advice on benefits.

  • Visit 116 Kingston Crescent, North End, PO2 8AL
  • Drop-in Mondays to Wednesdays 9am – 5pm, Thursdays 1pm – 7.30pm or Fridays 9am – 4.30pm
  • Phone  023 9279 4340

If you are over 50, Age UK Portsmouth can give you advice on benefits.

  • Phone  023 9288 3500
  • Bradbury Centre, 16-18 Kingston Road, Portsmouth, PO1 5RZ
  • Drop-in Monday to Thursday 9am – 5pm, Friday 9am – 4.30pm