Generic filters
Cost of living support and advice

We know that money can be a huge worry, and many people in Portsmouth are finding things difficult at the moment. If you don’t have enough money to meet your day to day living costs, or you’re struggling to pay your bills, we’re here to help you find the right support for you and your family.

Debt advice


  • The Council Tax Support Scheme helps eligible people to pay their Council Tax
  • Help for Households – the government scheme to help people cope with the rising cost of living.
  • Universal Credit supports you if you are on a low income or out of work. It includes a monthly payment to help with your living costs
  • Independent Age supports older people to check they’re claiming all the benefits they’re entitled to
  • Find information on housing benefit, including local housing allowance (LHA) rates for private rented accommodation. Housing benefit is available to help certain people on a low income who pay rent for where they live. Housing Benefit is typically not available to new claims from working age residents, where support is instead provided via Universal Credit.
  • Online benefits calculators can also help you find out what benefits you are entitled to:

Council Tax Support Fund

It was announced by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities (DLHC) on the 23 December 2022, that the government would be making additional funding available for local authorities to support the most vulnerable households in England with their council tax payments.

The government expects local authorities to use the majority of their funding to reduce council tax bills for current working age and pension age Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) claimants by up to £25.

Please be advised that the scheme is currently in development and further updates will follow once the scheme has been approved. In the meantime, government guidance in relation to the Council Tax Support Fund can be found on the government’s website.


Don’t get caught out by cost of living scams. From fake fuel vouchers and phone bill discounts to dodgy supermarket offers and investment opportunities – find out how to recognise and report cost of living scams at Action Fraud

More information