Staff are allowed to claim for mileage if they use their own mode of transport whilst on business – whether it be in a car, or on a motorcycle or a bike.

Quick guidance

To claim, you must fill in a claim form each month (attaching any relevant fuel VAT receipts) and each claim must be authorised by your manager.

Mileage can also be claimed if you need to make an official journey from home to a permanent workplace outside normal contractual hours, as long as payment has not been made, such as overtime or call out pay, or time off in lieu has not been given.

If using your own car for work (other than simply travelling to work from home) you should register with your insurance company as a ‘business user.’ Insurance cover is the responsibility of each car user, because the council’s insurance policy does not cover you.

The maximum distance for a return journey is 60 miles (effective from 1 May 2015). If you have to make a trip over the maximum allowable distance for a return journey, you should use a council hire car or catch a train. You can still use your own car, but your mileage claim will be capped at the maximum mileage rate - you won't be able to claim for the whole journey. 

VAT receipts are required for mileage claims and should total at least 50% of the amount of mileage to be reimbursed.

All mileage should be rounded up or down to the nearest mile - for example, if you travel between 2.1-2.4 miles that should be recorded as 2 miles, and if you travel between 2.5-2.9 miles the journey should be recorded as 3 miles.

Mileage amounts: 

Car (petrol, diesel or LPG) 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles in a tax year and 25p per mile after (from 1 April 2011).  Electric/Hybrid 20p per mile (from 1 November 2017)  All other fuel types are reimbursed at 14p per mile as agreed by the Pay Steering Committee

Motorcycle - 24p per mile

Bicycle - 20p per mile

Full details about making claim can be found in the Finance section


Tags Open / Close

Related subjects Open / Close