This is the wellbeing What’s On page, letting you know about activities and events available locally.
Whether you want to join a choir, go Chinese kickboxing, or take a healthy walk around Portsmouth, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Some of these events are organised by Portsmouth City Council staff and others by external organisations: all with the common purpose of improving your wellbeing.
- Meets Wednesday 6-7pm at Charter Academy (St Lukes Sports Centre), Greetham Street, Portsmouth. Cost: £4
- Classes offer a complete body work out and is suitable for all ages (over 18) and all fitness levels
- For more information contact Nicola Franklin on 07971 986445
- Floorball: A type of floor hockey which is an indoor team sport played with light-weight fibre glass or carbon fibre sticks
- Beginners, skilled and experienced players welcome for sessions at Priory School, Southsea
- For more information please email email@example.com
- Every day there is a walk around a different area of Portsmouth led by qualified volunteers – 13 in total, all free
- Offers you a chance to meet new people and get healthy at the same time
- For more information contact (023) 9284 1762 or email Iwt@portsmouthcc.gov.uk. Or look at the website www.walkingforhealth.org.uk
Yoga classes at the Civic Offices, Wednesdays after work from 5.10pm to 6.10pm . No block booking is needed, pay-as-you-go weekly, £5. This small, friendly class is suitable for all levels( maximum ten spaces). Modified and alternative postures are offered for those with injury and health issues and to suit ability.
Learning simple yoga techniques will help you manage stress and bring balance to your life. Sessions includes posture practice, breath practice and relaxation/meditation. Contact Jo Florio firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 07952496348 if you would like to attend.
You can also learn some simple yoga techniques to help release stress and bring balance to your life by joining a six week course in the Central Library starting Friday 4 August to 1 September from 10.45 -11.45 and 12.00 - 1.00pm in the Central Library
The sessions which are suitable for beginners, cost £25 and are from 12pm to 1pm and 1.15pm to 2.15pm.
To book go into your local library or call 023 9268 8057 to pay by phone with a credit/debit card.
Couch to 5K
- Designed to get you from sitting on the couch channel-surfing to running 5 kilometres (3 miles) in just 9 weeks.
- An e-learning package which gives you all the information you need and the downloadable material to help you keep pace and stay motivated should you require it.
- couch to 5K website
- The council’s book club has members from across the organisation, and meets every five weeks, after work on a Wednesday.
- Each year the group are given a list of books available and everyone is asked to pick their top three. Everyone gets at least one of their chosen books read throughout the year.
Macmillan Cancer Support:
- Meets Monday lunchtime during term time.
- The group sing a variety of songs and perform at local events. All abilities welcome.
- To find out more please contact email@example.com
We offer training courses in conjunction with the Public Health team and the Independence and Wellbeing team on Health and Wellbeing and Wellbeing Awareness through MLE.
Courses include Sexual Health, Supporting independence, Food Hygiene, substance misuse, early years prep, mental health and health promotion.
Unless otherwise stated, all courses are available to the staff at no charge.