Facilities management is responsible for receiving and recording, in a register, any lost property with details of the finder and location, and issuing a receipt for this.
- If the owner of the lost property is immediately apparent they will be notified and must collect it within a month
- if not collected, clothing or anything not classed as valuable will be disposed of within a month
- valuables, such as money, jewellery or anything worth more than £20, will be kept for six months before being disposed of.
These timings conform to the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.
If you have lost or found something
If you lose or find any item at the Civic Offices, it should be reported and handed in to facilities management. You will be asked for the following information:
- details of the item lost or found
- name of person who lost or found the property
- address and telephone number of contact
- where item was lost or found, if known
Lost property needs to be kept where it was found for 24 hours, in case the owner returns to claim it, but details must still be given to facilities management.
For more information on lost property in the civic offices, email firstname.lastname@example.org.