We are committed to putting the residents of Portsmouth first. That means we always want to hear what you have to say about the services we provide. If you are telling us about something for the first time, please give us the opportunity to put things right before complaining by reporting the problem first.

Your opinion matters to us, whether it's a suggestion, compliment or a complaint. We appreciate all feedback, and use it to improve our services.

Should I complain?

We take all complaints very seriously. While we try to provide a good service, we know that sometimes things go wrong. We have developed a complaints procedure for you to use if you feel that this is the case.

Sometimes residents send complaints to us that could be dealt with more quickly by contacting the correct team. You may want to check with the relevant department before sending a complaint, as it may be that we can solve the problem straight away. Some of the most common are:

If you want to make a formal complaint, it will be dealt with according to our complaints policy. This sets out the process for how we will respond to your complaint, and what happens if you disagree with our response.

How do I complain?

There are many ways you can submit a formal complaint to the council:

Suggestions, compliments and complaints,
Portsmouth City Council,
Civic Offices,
Guildhall Square,

I need help with my complaint

Everyone has a right to have someone act on their behalf. You can be represented by:

  • A member of your family
  • Your partner
  • A friend
  • An attorney, advocate or solicitor
  • A local councillor (find your local councillor)
  • An MP 

We need to have proper consent before we can discuss the complaint with your representative. This is normally written consent, giving them permission to act on your behalf.

Rate this page