Twinned since 1950
Portsmouth's link with Duisburg is the second-oldest Anglo-German twinning. Portsmouth City Council suggested the twinning as an act of reconciliation, so that the post-war reconstruction would see not only buildings, but also relations between the two nations rebuilt. In 1950 the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress, Sir Denis and Lady Peggy Daley, signed the Golden Book of Duisburg at the city's Town Hall.
Since then, the Lord Mayor has made annual visits to the city and it is estimated that over 70,000 people have participated in exchanges between our cities, which have included groups from colleges, adult education, musicians and artists, members of social and drama clubs, and many sports and social clubs.
The following schools are also known to have an exchange programme with their counterparts in Duisburg: City of Portsmouth Girls School, Portsmouth High School, Priory School, St Edmund's R C School and Springfield School.
The Duisburg-Portsmouth Friendship Committee
The Committee is made up of five Councillors, three Supporting Officers from different departments of the City Council and volunteer representatives from outside bodies. The Lord Mayor is President of the Committee.
The committee encourages and supports new exchange links, such as exchanges between sports organisations which regularly take place between the two cities. Known exchanges include table tennis, hockey, tennis and youth football, with exchanges for squash, sailing and rowing being established.
Students from the Albert Einstein Gymnasium have been assisted by Leisure Services and Personnel to find work placements in Portsmouth.
For more information on Duisburg, please visit the Duisburg tourism site (English translation available) or the Duisburg City site (German).