Lead Teacher for Drama
£25,750 - £39,964 per annum (with a TLR of £4,575)
Start Date: September 2019
Closing Date: Wednesday 8th May 2019
Interviews Week Commencing 13th May 2019
We are a successful and growing school which is looking to expand our team of creative, supportive and dynamic middle leaders by appointing an inspirational Lead Teacher for Drama.
We place great importance on the arts, being very aware of the impact they can have in developing confident, creative, critical thinkers as part of a broad and balanced curriculum.
It is an exciting time to join The Portsmouth Academy, with work having just begun on our £5.3 million new build which will include a state of the art Drama studio. These new facilities, along with an inspirational Lead Teacher for Drama will enable this subject to grow and become a leading area of the school.
The Thinking Schools Academy Trust is in the top 10 Multi-Academy Trusts for KS4 progress
Ofsted April 2017 – The Portsmouth Academy is a GOOD school with OUTSTANDING leadership and management.
We became a co-educational establishment from September 2017. Our aim is to transform the life chances of our pupils through our motto of ‘Aspire and Achieve’.
The good behaviour of our students, and collegiate atmosphere amongst staff, makes the Academy a wonderful place to work. We are part of the Thinking Schools Academy Trust, an expanding family of primary and secondary schools within the Portsmouth area and have recently achieved fully accredited Thinking School status from the University of Exeter.
View our latest video to gain an insight into The Portsmouth Academy and The Thinking Schools Academy Trust
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a qualified and experienced Drama Teacher.
- Be able to consistently deliver good or outstanding practice.
- Be experienced in planning an appropriate and challenging curriculum.
- Have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum developments, particularly those relating to Drama.
- Be an inspiring teacher with real enthusiasm for the subject.
- Be able to motivate his/her pupils.
- Be committed to high standards for both staff and students.
- Be prepared to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the Academy, working closing with other teachers of the performing arts disciplines to contribute to performances throughout the school year.
- Have excellent knowledge/experience of teaching Drama.
- To implement and support all Academy policies.
- To ensure that the standards of teaching and learning across the Drama department are Good and Outstanding through coaching and quality assurance processes.
- To collaborate with other leaders and managers in raising standards within the curriculum to Good and Outstanding including all student groups.
What we can offer you:
- An excellent environment for learning and teaching. The Portsmouth Academy has undergone major refurbishment and a further building phase will commence in 2019 including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art music and drama.
- We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy and were proud to receive the Wellbeing award at the recent Teach Portsmouth Awards. Our Wellbeing strategy consists of regular opportunities to participate in on site activities such as Pilates, Ceramics and Football each week.
- Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects.
- Teachers are provided with above 10% PPA and they are designated allocated marking time.
- With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career.
- The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
- Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits.
- We work closely with Teach Portsmouth,The Portsmouth Education Partnershipand Portsmouth Teaching Schools Alliance
- The Trust holds regular CPD events.
- A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
- Onsite parking free of charge.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
Visits to the Academy are encouraged. To arrange a visit to the Academy please contact Sue Wood Executive PA on 02392 812822.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.