Reference number - 2662 - 3293
Location - Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth
Salary - Band 11 - £38,813 - £42,683 p.a.
Job type/hours - 37 hours per week (but would accept applications for part-time hours) - permanent
There is no closing date - we will shortlist as the advert goes along. We may close the advert early if we receive enough suitable applications
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we're all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority's main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
You will be responsible for directly managing all financial and commercial aspects of major and/or complex projects and programmes of work as a key member of a multi-disciplinary project team.
You will also contribute to the management of the Quantity Surveying group in delivering a comprehensive quantity surveying service on behalf of the Council.
What you'll need to succeed
- Have a degree or diploma in Quantity surveying or equivalent.
2. Be able to assist the Team leader in the overall running of the team and mentoring junior staff when necessary.
3. Ideally have membership of the RICS or equivalent status through demonstrable experience.
4. Have experience of taking a lead role on a wide variety of projects.
5. Have excellent building contract financial management skills.
6. Have a good understanding of all stages of building design and construction including relevant acts/legislation.
7. Have an excellent knowledge & understanding of building contracts, particularly the JCT Standard form and its variants.
8. Have the ability to deliver project responsibilities without supervision.
9. Have an ability to work well as part of a team and on your own initiative.
10. Have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages including Excel and Word.
11. Have knowledge and experience of 'taking off' quantities under SMM7 and using Quantity Surveying bill preparation computer packages.
12. Have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
13. Have good analytical and problem solving skills.
14. Have an ability to organise and prioritise assigned tasks to meet the set objectives.
15. Be self-motivated keep up to date with current legislation and to undertake career development to ensure a good understanding of the Council’s Standing Orders and Financial Regulations relating to construction works.
16. Have the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English
What you'll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you'll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the "Job Profile" to ensure you application matches the requirements of the role.
If you wish to send a CV, please consider a cover letter outlining why you are the perfect candidate for this position.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.