Reference number - 2642 - 3270
Location - Portsmouth
Salary - Band 6 - £21,256 - £24,799 pro rata (£5,170 - £6,032 p.a.)
Job type/hours - 9 hours per week - to be worked over 3 nights 6-9pm and some Saturdays - permanent
Closing date - 26th September 2019
Interview process - 3rd October 2019
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we're all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority's main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
The Youth Service aim to improve outcomes for young people aged 11-19yrs and up to 25yrs for young people with learning difficulties and disabilities. We do this through Information, Advice and Guidance, and a range of activities provided through our youth clubs and projects. We support vulnerable young people who are at risk or future risk of further problems such as substance misuse, youth offending, teenage pregnancy and homelessness.
Working with young people aged between 11 -19 in a youth club setting & on occasions on the street; you will encourage young people’s participation in their clubs/projects and in planning activities. You will be able to plan and run sessions with groups of young people on a range of issues:-sexual health, relationships, sexism, racism, bullying, substance misuse, etc. Some experience of working with groups on issue based topics is desirable you could also be joining in sport or dance activities, managing the coffee bar, cooking with the young people or taking them out for an activity. You will support a culture of respect for staff, building, other young people, and the community as a whole, and sometimes you may have to deal with challenging behaviour.
What you'll need to succeed
You need to:
- Have previous experience of working with young people aged 11 - 19 years.
- Have excellent communication skills and be able to engage effectively with young people, staff and stakeholders
- The ability to converse at ease with service users and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
- Be able to plan group activities onsite and off-site that engages young people and encourages learning and self-development.
- Be self-directed and able to work as part of a team
- Be able to role model professional practice to other staff and demonstrate effective ways of engaging young people
- Be able to recognise when young people are having issues and be able to respond appropriately, offering support and signposting to other agencies if necessary
- Be able to make sound decisions to ensure the safety and well-being of young people, staff ,and the wider community
- Have an understanding of anti-discriminatory practice, this is essential.
- Be open minded, but recognise and challenge inappropriateness in a young person's behaviour or language when necessary
11. Be flexible in your hours of work as you will need availability to work in the evenings and occasional weekends for off- site activities, and to work City Wide if required to meet the needs of the service.
12. Be prepared to attend supervision, appropriate training relevant to the post, and team meetings as required.
What you'll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you'll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the "Job Profile" to ensure you application matches the requirements of the role.
If you wish to send a CV, please consider a cover letter outlining why you are the perfect candidate for this position.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.