Reference number - 2576 - 3181
Location - Various locations within the Portsmouth area as the needs of the service require
Salary - £15,621 p.a.
Job type/hours - 37 hours per week - temporary for 1 year
Closing date - 26th August 2019
Assessment & interview process - 2nd, 3rd & 4th September 2019
Facilities Level 2 Qualification with HIT training
What's on offer
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for you to start a career with us by joining as an Estate Services Officer Apprentice. You will get:
- Up to one year of paid work
- You will have a mentor/buddy who will be an experienced member of staff who can help you through the training.
- You will get a qualification and support to help you achieve this.
- You will improve your career prospects with the experience and qualifications gained and the possibility of getting permanent employment within Portsmouth City Council
The employment Benefits will be
- A level 2 qualification in Facilities
- Access to all PCC Corporate Training
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Access to PCC 'My Rewards'
The Estate Service Officer Apprentice will work alongside existing Estate Service Officers who are responsible for providing a quality service in all aspects of estate management.
You will receive training and support to enable you perform all aspects of the Estate Service Officer role which includes inspecting blocks of flats, communal areas, play sites, parking sites and garages ensuring they are maintained in a safe, clean and tidy condition. This will involve speaking to tenants/leaseholders regarding the correct disposal of black bags and bulk items with a view to re-educate those who are not disposing of these items in the correct way. Whilst dealing with estate based issues you will Estate Service Officers listen to residents, gain an understanding of the situation / circumstances, react to the problem appropriately and when necessary challenge resident behaviour.
This is a varied and challenging role that involves dealing with a wide section of the local community and other external agencies such as the police as well as putting you in close contact with numerous departments within Portsmouth City Council, so your ability to work in partnership with others will be paramount.
This is not an office based role. Estate Service Officers routinely carry out minor repairs to housing communal areas, such as changing light bulbs which require the use of ladders. You will also need to be able to walk up several flights of stairs, move refuse bins and access bins to investigate waste.
One of our Estate Services Officers had this to say about their role
"An ESO's role gives me a wide and diverse set of skills to progress within Social Housing and is a good stepping stone for future development. I enjoy meeting and supporting our residents, I like making a difference and seeing a job through to the end."
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Have excellent customer service skills and be confident in your approach and delivery when dealing with customers
- Be flexible as occasionally you may be required to work outside office hours i.e. to attend residents meetings
3. Have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels including with residents, other departments within Portsmouth City Council and external agencies.
4. Have a proactive approach when dealing with and identifying issues in the area, engaging with customers, in a calm and tactful manner, and challenging behaviours when necessary.
5. Be able to work independently and as part of a team, using your own initiative and judgement in order to find appropriate and effective solutions.
6. Be able to identify or consider other resources available to you to help you achieve results for our customers.
7. Have the ability to write letters to customers, make clear written notes and prepare reports / statements.
8. Be able to carry out minor repairs to housing communal areas, such as changing light bulbs which may require the use of ladders (although training will be provided).
9. Be able and prepared to help support our customers as needed, for example, carry shopping, climb stairs and move refuse bins.
10. Be comfortable using a variety of IT systems such as Word, Outlook and Excel.
11. Be willing to learn and develop.
- Driving Licence and use of a car is desirable (not essential)