Reference number - 002A
Location - Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK
Salary - Band 3: £9.82 per hour
Job type/hours - Temporary, part-time
Relief Work - Please note that there are no set weekly hours for this position. It is a Casual Contract, which is working as and when required
DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment and this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
What is the Service?
The Integrated Transport Unit (ITU) transports approximately 650 pupils daily aged 2-25 years old to schools, colleges and contact centres. Some pupils have Special Educational Needs and some pupils are Looked After Children in the care of Portsmouth City Council. We use several different forms of transport - minibuses, wheelchair accessible minibuses and taxis. The majority of the pupils go to school in Portsmouth but some go further afield for instance Fareham, Stubbington, Waterlooville, and Southampton. We currently employ around 120 passenger assistants to help is deliver this service.
What is the job?
We maintain a register of Relief Passenger Assistants to cover for permanent members of staff who are absent either short or long term. We are looking for people to join our relief list who can work as and when required. You will be responsible for the child/children's behaviour, safety and general wellbeing during their journeys to and from schools, colleges and contact centres. You must ensure pupils are suitably strapped into vehicles and you will need to become familiar with the operation of specialist equipment, for example car seats, vehicle passenger lifts, ramps and wheelchair restraints in case of emergency. This is a job where you work mainly on your own as a representative of Portsmouth City Council. You will be working with a driver employed by one of our transport providers. The hours are primarily around school opening and closing times typically 08:00 - 09:30 and 14:30 - 16:15 term-time only. Occasionally some hours may be available at other times. Vacancies for permanent posts are generally filled from the register.
Who are we looking for?
You will need to:
1. have the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
2. Live in PO1-PO6 post code areas as most pupils we transport live in Portsmouth.
3. Have a good rapport with children and understand the needs of Looked After Pupils and those associated with Special Educational Needs.
4. Be able to work alone or in a small team with minimal supervision.
5. Be reliable and be able to work at short notice as and when required.
6. Remain calm and clear headed in an emergency and have a practical common sense approach to problems.
7. Be physically able to carry out the full range of duties, which include moving heavy wheelchairs & bending in confined spaces to assist pupils into their seats.
8. Have a good geographic knowledge of the Portsmouth area, as on occasions you may need to direct the driver.