Reference number - 001
Location - Portsmouth
Salary - Band 03: £16,908 to £17,403 pro rata (£8.78 - £9.04 per hour)
Job type/hours - Temporary, part-time (10 hours per week, 2 hours per day, term-time only)
Portsmouth Local Authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment
What is the job?
You will ensure that children and other pedestrians cross the road safely at the designated crossing point. You will be working in all weather conditions which can include the cold, wet, snow and heat. It is a legal requirement to wear a uniform and use equipment provided for your own safety.
Who are we looking for?
You need to:
1. Have an awareness of potential hazards when working on or near roads.
2. Have good communication skills as you will be liaising with children and adults of all levels.
3. Ability to demonstrate good time keeping.
4. Have the ability to use your own initiative and think on your feet as you will be unsupervised for the majority of the time.
5. Have the ability to remain professional within the role.
6. Have an awareness of safeguarding.
7. Have the ability to work in all weather conditions and be on your feet for up to an hour at a time (twice a day) and be able to move on to and off the road.
8. You must be able to hold in one hand a SCP sign weighing up to 2 kilos up to arm's length and above.
9. Be committed to term time only working (no leave to be taken during these periods).
10. Be able to attend and participate in training and/or development events as required to receive updates to School Crossing Patrol policy and procedures.
How can you apply?
You will need to complete an application if you are interested in applying.
Email your application to email@example.com (scan QR code for email) ensuring the reference number and the post title are in the subject box – this will ensure your application is sent to the correct manager as quickly as possible, we receive 1000’s of applications and do not always have the resource to investigate an application that is not clearly marked.
If you do not receive an automated reply then we have not received your application.
By post to Recruitment, Portsmouth City Council, Floor 1, Core 5, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2EP.
Or, if you have any queries, contact us on 023 9268 8536.
You will need to demonstrate that you have the Right to Work in the UK. No post will be offered without it.
The information you provide will be used for the recruitment of this post only and will be stored for 12 months.
Please note that providing false information is an offence and could result in the application being rejected or summary dismissal if you are appointed to the post and possible referral to the police and or the DBS.
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Border Agency requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit UK Border Agency website.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU HAVE APPLIED WITHIN THE LAST SIX MONTHS