Does your bus pass expire in March 2019? 

Portsmouth City Council is responsible for administering the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) in Portsmouth. The scheme provides free off peak travel on scheduled bus services. Two groups of people qualify for a concessionary travel pass: eligible older people and people with a disability.

Eligible older people means:

  • anyone born before 6 April 1950 (men and women)
  • if you are a woman born after 5 April 1950 you become eligible when you reach the age of eligibility for state pension
  • if you are a man born after 5 April 1950, you become eligible when you reach the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day

To check whether you are an eligible older person, use's State Pension Age Calculator - please note: the date you reach pension age is the date you will be entitled to a bus pass (see 'Pension Age Table' below).

The bus pass is also available to anyone aged over five registered with a qualifying disability, or adults who have a medical condition that prevents them from driving.

You are an eligible disabled person if you:

  • are blind or partially sighted, profoundly or severely deaf, without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • have long term loss of the use of both arms or do not have arms
  • have a learning disability - a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would have an application to drive a motor vehicle refused due to your disability
  • a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service

Apply online for your travel bus pass (older person's pass only)

New applicants can apply in person at the Civic Offices as soon as they become eligible.


Everyone applying for bus passes needs to bring with them:

  • proof that you live in Portsmouth, such as a council tax bill, housing benefit, rent book, electoral registration or utility bill and
  • a passport quality colour photograph

For an older person's pass, you need to also bring proof of age, such as:

  • birth certificate
  • passport
  • driving licence
  • medical card

    For a disabled person's pass, you need to also bring proof of disability, such as: 
  • attendance allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) with a mobility component
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) where the applicant has been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP "Moving Around" and "Communicating Verbally" activities
  • award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Are in receipt of War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS) under the War Pensions Scheme (WPS) 
  • letter from the DVLA giving notice of long term refusal or withdrawal of driving license on medical grounds, (misuse of alcohol or drugs are not included under this scheme)
  • a mental health healthcare professional's standard NHS exclusion letter containing their contact details
  • blue badge or registration with social care (yellow card)

No other forms of proof are acceptable.

Passes will be posted directly to the applicant, and can take up to ten working days to arrive.

Customer Date Of Birth

Date from which the customer qualifies
for pension age Concessionary Travel Pass

Earlier than 05/09/1952

Already Eligible for Bus Pass

06/09/52 – 05/10/52


06/10/52 – 05/11/52


06/11/52 – 05/12/52


06/12/52 – 05/01/53


06/01/53 – 05/02/53


06/02/53 – 05/03/53


06/03/53 – 05/04/53


06/04/53 – 05/05/53


06/05/53 – 05/06/53


06/06/53 – 05/07/53


06/07/53 – 05/08/53


06/08/53 – 05/09/53


06/09/53 – 05/10/53


06/10/53 – 05/11/53


06/11/53 – 05/12/53


06/12/53 – 05/01/54


06/01/54 – 05/02/54


06/02/54 – 05/03/54


06/03/54 – 05/04/54


06/04/54 – 05/05/54


06/05/54 – 05/06/54


06/06/54 – 05/07/54


06/07/54 – 05/08/54


06/08/54 – 05/09/54


06/09/54 – 05/10/54


After 06/10/54

On your 66th birthday

Renewing an older persons bus pass

You do not have to do anything to renew your pass. Passes are valid for up to five years. You will automatically receive a new one in the post unless we contact you before expiry.

If your existing pass is due to expire in less than a week and your new one has not arrived, please contact us.

Renewing a disabled persons bus pass

These are issued for anything from 1 year to 5 years depending on your disability.

  • If your disability is temporary, when it expires, you will need to reapply or show further proof before we can renew it.
  • If your disability has been assessed by us as permanent you will normally automatically receive a new pass in the post, unless we contact you before expiry.

If your existing pass is due to expire in less than a week and your new one has not arrived, please contact us.

We will automatically send a replacement to the address we hold on our records so it is essential you notify us of any change of address.

The new online application facility is available for those who are applying for a concessionary travel bus pass for the first time.

You will need to upload the same types of proof as if you were applying for your bus pass in person at the Civic Offices.


You must also be able to attach a passport quality colour photograph of yourself. 


Please note: your photograph must show your head and shoulders only, without head gear, (except on religious or medical grounds) front facing and alone. 


Once we have checked the online application the bus pass will be ordered and posted directly to the applicant within ten working days.

The companion pass allows those unable to travel alone on public transport to have a companion travel with them free of charge. To be eligible, you must:

  • have a concessionary travel pass from Portsmouth City Council (or be eligible for one)
  • receive housing benefit
  • have a signed declaration from a doctor confirming you are unable to travel alone

Your companion does not receive a bus pass in their own right, so a companion is not restricted to one specific person. Only one companion may travel free on any one journey, and you must both get on and leave the bus at the same points.


Because the companion pass is a local benefit for Portsmouth residents, your companion may have to pay the full adult fare if a journey starts outside Portsmouth. The city boundary points can be broadly described by the following landmarks:

  • Mother Kelly's fish and chip shop on Southampton Road towards Portchester
  • The George Inn on London Road heading north
  • Havant Road and Rectory Road junction towards Bedhampton

Free bus passes can be used anywhere in England during off peak times, which are 9.30am to 11pm Monday to Friday, and all day weekends and public holidays.


The bus pass only covers travel in England; not Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.


Residents who are registered blind are eligible for a bus pass which allows free travel all day in Portsmouth and at off peak times in England. For more information telephone the concessionary fare helpline on 023 9268 8599.

There is a £10 administration fee, payable in advance, for replacing a damaged, defaced or lost pass. The fee is not refundable if the lost pass is later found.


Report stolen passes to the police, so that you get a crime reference number. With a verified crime reference number we issue replacement cards without charge. If there is a technical problem with your card, it will also be replaced free of charge.

For more information phone the concessionary fare helpline on 023 9268 8599, write or visit us at the cashiers office at the ground floor reception of Portsmouth City Council, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, PO1 2AL.


Tags Open / Close

Related subjects Open / Close

Rate this page