Reference number - 1766 - 2158
Location - Victory Business Centre, Portsmouth
Salary - £15,314 p.a.
Job type/hours - Temporary for 1 year - 37 hours per week - 07:30 - 16:00 Monday - Friday
Closing date - 13th July 2018
Interview process - 26th July 2018
Level 2 Buildings and Facilities Management qualification with HIT Training
We are a small team in the Regeneration service, covering the Victory Business Centre in Fratton, the Portsmouth Enterprise Centre and the Challenge Enterprise Centre in Anchorage Park. You will be required to work from all of these sites when needed. In total we manage 145 units for small and start-up businesses and ensure that they have access to a full range of business advice and support.
What is the role?
To work with the premises officer to help organise a programme of planned maintenance, repairs and interior decorating at the three Portsmouth City Council owned Enterprise Centres, ensuring that the 145 units and supporting facilities meet the needs of small businesses occupying the space. This will include contact and liaison with contractors regarding repair, maintenance and improvement works at the Enterprise Centres and to check that their work meets the agreed specifications.
You will assist the premises officer to carry out preventative maintenance to ensure the upkeep and efficient functioning of the Enterprise Centres including the checking of lifts, roller shutter doors, toilet facilities, escape routes, boilers and controllers, clearance of drains and gullies and the general upkeep of buildings. This includes all land within the boundaries of the three sites such as car parks, servicing areas and landscaping. You will be shown how to carry out small repairs (to save money on contractors) and when it is needed to call in contractors to complete mandatory tasks - electricians for safety tests etc.
You will need to contact and liaise with PCC Departments based at the civic offices, particularly Regeneration and the Property Directorate regarding premises issues. Liaise with existing and prospective businesses on issues relating to the premises and provide information and advice to the Enterprise Centres Manager on all related issues.
You will also undertake regular checking and recording of services to include fire and security alarms, emergency lighting, heating systems and usage of gas, water and electricity.
Learning from the premises officer the full range of facilities management for the Enterprise Centres and the importance of recording the safety tests, checks and routine servicing of services such as the fire sprinkler system, emergency lighting, fire extinguisher tests. You will learn how often these are required, keeping the correct safety books up-to-date and why this is important.
Who is the person?
- Have the ability to learn good, basic building maintenance to be able to liaise with contractors.
- Gain a good understanding of Health and Safety at Work legislation and ideally of building regulations.
- Be able to learn some basic building maintenance and carry out repairs, lock changes & door closers. We require a practical person rather than a purely academic skillset.
- Be a confident individual with good communication skills as you will be liaising with the business owners and their staff within the buildings and their visitors.
- Be able to plan and manage your work schedules effectively.
- Have experience of IT systems, able to use email and carry out basic record keeping.
- Be a team player and flexible to adapt to the needs of the team and the business.
- Be able to provide cover for reception/administrative team for short periods of time (lunch breaks etc...).
- Be able to cover for the evening caretaker on occasion. Overtime will be paid for this.
- Be a responsible, trusted person as you will have keys to the buildings and codes to alarm systems. You will on occasion have to unlock/lock the buildings and correctly switch off & set the security alarms