Reference number - 1640-1976
Location - Portsmouth, Hampshire
Salary - £6,752 - £6,854 p.a plus 7.5% shift allowance
Job type/hours - Permanent 15 Hours per week working alternate weekends and will include bank holiday working
Closing date - Midnight, 29 April 2018
Shearwater is in Milton and is a purpose built home for 60 adults with dementia. We opened in August 2005. The accommodation is over 3 floors with 20 residents on each floor. Each bedroom has its own ensuite bathroom and shower. We have about 100 staff in our team who work different shifts across all floors within the home.
What is the purpose of Adult Social care from a service user perspective?
Help me, when I need it, to live the life I want to live
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
You will be allocated to a specific group living area, where you will be responsible for carrying out general cleaning duties to include lounges, dining rooms, occupational rooms, cleaner's stores, bedrooms, corridors, halls, office areas, bathrooms, toilets and sluices. There will be occasions when you will need to do a deep clean such as washing down walls and paintwork, upholstery and furnishings as well as reporting verbally or in writing any defects to furniture, fittings and equipment to the shift leader of the day.
Who is the person?
You need to:
1. Have previously undertaken domestic work in a residential setting or worked to a cleaning schedule.
2. Be willing to undertake the wide range of cleaning and be flexible with other duties you may be asked to undertake.
3. Have had formal or informal training in cleaning.
4. Have an understanding of empathy for elderly people and of the concepts of the resident's dignity, privacy and choice.
5. Be able to communicate in a gentle and understanding manner.
6. The ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
7. Understand what equality and diversity means in terms of staff and service users.
Portsmouth Local Authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment and this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.