Reference number - 1425-1794
Location - Portsmouth, Hampshire
Salary - £9.10 per hour
Job type/hours - Temporary, part-time (up to 12 hour shifts, as and when required – various shift patterns, including nights)
Portsmouth City Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults, children, and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. It is also committed to promoting quality childcare across the City that works to improve outcomes for children.
DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment and this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Every post is subject to PCC and Portsmouth Safeguarding Children’s Board safer recruitment procedures.
What is the job?
Working as a Casual Operational Security Support Officer you will only be contacted to work as and when required and this may be contact at short notice.
You will be part of a team of 8 Operational Security Support Officers who ensure that the security of the building is sound and well managed by providing a 24 hour service 365 days a year as you are also the City Helpdesk out of hour’s service.
You will be following clear guidelines which will involve Checking ID passes of people entering and moving around the building as well as greeting members of the public, business visitors and contractors. Controlling vehicles entering and leaving the car park area, as well as receiving and returning goods from courier services. Supporting & liaising with staff when a security presence is required.
You will also be part of the emergency team for evacuating the building in an emergency, as well as first aid backup.
For the first 2 weeks of employment, it is a requirement of the role to work the full range of shift patterns to allow for a training programme, which includes customer service and dealing with the public.
During this time your suitability for the role will be assessed on a weekly basis for you to remain on the programme. Continued employment is dependent on successfully completing the programme.
Who are we looking for?
You need to:
- Be able to spend long periods of time on your feet, as you will be patrolling the building reporting any building faults and security breaches and be able to lift parcels when accepting deliveries.
- Be of smart appearance, as although a uniform is provided you will be having direct contact with staff and visitors to the building.
- Have basic literacy skills as you will need to provide written statements when dealing with security issues and logging goods in and out.
- Have good communication skills as you will be dealing with members of the public and staff at all levels. You will need to be tactful, diplomatic and polite.
- The ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
- Be able to work as part of a team to ensure smooth delivery of the security service when handing over shifts.
- Be flexible in being able to adapt to changing workloads of the team as there are a number of different shift patterns and various roles within security which may require cover for sickness and holidays.
- Be self-motivated and show initiative. You will be required to carry out building maintenance checks, which will need someone with attention to detail.
- Be physically fit as manual handling is required
There is no closing date we will interview as we receive suitable applications