Reference number - 002
Location - Portsmouth, Hampshire
Salary - Band 03 - £9.10 per hour
Job type/hours - Temporary, part-time (Relief Work - Please note that there are no set weekly hours for this position. It is a Casual Contract, which is working as and when required)
DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment and this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
What is the service?
The Integrated Transport Unit (ITU) transports approximately 650 pupils daily aged 2-25 years old to schools, colleges and contact centres. Some pupils have Special Educational Needs and some pupils are Looked After Children in the care of Portsmouth City Council. We use several different forms of transport - minibuses, wheelchair accessible minibuses and taxis. Some vehicles are provided from outside contractors and some vehicles are from our in house fleet.The majority of the pupils go to school in Portsmouth but some go further afield for instance Fareham, Stubbington, Waterlooville, and Southampton. We currently employ around 120 passenger assistants to help is deliver this service.
What is the job?
We maintain a register of Relief Passenger Assistants /Drivers to cover for permanent members of staff who are absent either short or long term. We are looking for people to join our relief list who can work as and when required. You will be responsible for the child/children's behaviour, safety and general wellbeing during their journeys to and from schools, colleges and contact centres. As a driver you will be responsible for driving a PCC vehicle and carrying out safety checks. You must ensure pupils are suitably strapped into vehicles and you will need to become familiar with the operation of specialist equipment, for example car seats, vehicle passenger lifts, ramps and wheelchair restraints in case of emergency. This is a job where you work mainly on your own as a representative of Portsmouth City Council. As a passenger assistant you may be working with a driver employed by one of our transport providers. The hours are primarily around school opening and closing times typically 08:00 - 09:30 and 14:30 - 16:15 term-time only. Occasionally some hours may be available at other times. Vacancies for permanent posts are generally filled from the register.
Who are we looking for?
You will need to:
1. Have the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
2. Live in PO1-PO6 post code areas as most pupils we transport live in Portsmouth.
3. Have a current, full UK Driving Licence with no more than 6 penalty points.
4. Have previous driving experience and willing to undertake an internal driving assessment and gain MIDAS certificate and D1 entitlement on your drivers licence.
5. Be able to collect vehicle from a central pick up point.
6. Have a good rapport with children and understand the needs of Looked After Pupils and those associated with Special Educational Needs.
7. Be able to work alone or in a small team with minimal supervision.
8. Be reliable and be able to work at short notice as and when required.
9. Remain calm and clear headed in an emergency and have a practical common sense approach to problems.
10. Be physically able to carry out the full range of duties, which include moving heavy wheelchairs & bending in confined spaces to assist pupils into their seats.
11. Be flexible as to which role you are asked to cover
12. Have a good geographic knowledge of the Portsmouth area, as on occasions you may need to direct the driver.
How can you apply?
If you feel that you fulfil the above criteria and are interested in applying for the post, please complete and return the application to email@example.com ensuring the reference number and the post title are in the subject box – this will ensure your application is sent to the correct manager as quickly as possible, we receive 1000’s of applications and do not always have the resource to investigate an application that is not clearly marked.
If you do not receive an automated reply then we have not received your application.
By post to Recruitment, Portsmouth City Council, Floor 1, Core 5, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2EP.
Or, if you have any queries, contact us on 023 9284 1191 (8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 4:00pm Friday)
You will need to demonstrate that you have the Right to Work in the UK. No post will be offered without it.