Coronavirus: council service information and advice
Information about changes to council services as a result of coronavirus
Apply for free school meals online
Portsmouth City Council is very keen to promote healthy eating, particularly for school age children.
ISS Education provides school meals in Portsmouth on behalf of the council. They provide school meals for all primary and special schools without their own kitchens, and for four secondary schools - Castle View, City of Portsmouth Boys, Mayfield and Springfield. You can download sample primary and secondary school menus at the bottom of this page.
Primary schools in Portsmouth provide midday meals, offering a selection of meals, and vegetarian and special diet meals can be ordered. Primary school children may bring their own packed lunches.
Most secondary schools in Portsmouth operate a cash cafeteria system at lunchtime. Some also offer a mid-morning snack service.
Free school meals
From September 2014, all children in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools in England will receive free school meals.
Existing entitlements to free school meals for disadvantaged pupils in nursery classes and at key stages 2-4 will continue as before.
Parent/carers of children who are entitled to any of the following benefits are entitled to free school meals:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit only, provided your annual household income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) does not exceed £16,190. Anyone entitled to Working Tax Credit is not entitled to free meals regardless of income
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit, if your earned income was £616.67 or less in your last monthly assessmentperiod, or less than an average of £616.67 a month over the last 2 or 3 monthly assessment periods
To apply for free school meals either
- Complete the online application
- Download, complete and post the application form returning to the address provided
- Collect a form from your child's school , complete and return to the school
Alternatively, email a scan of the completed document to the email address provided.