The register office can provide a copy certificate for a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death that occurred within the city of Portsmouth. You will need to provide the following information:
- certificate type: marriage, civil partnership, death or birth*
- name or names the certificate applies to
- date and place of the event
- any other relevant information that may help us to locate the certificate
* There are two types of birth certificate. The full birth certificate shows all names, date and place of birth, parents' full names and occupations. For a passport application a full birth certificate is needed. A short birth certificate is also available, which shows full name, sex, date of birth and registration district of birth.
For events that have been registered less than 8 weeks ago; please contact the Register Office before requesting a certificate as a reduced fee may apply