Coronavirus: council service information and advice
Our priority certificate service is currently suspended. If you require a certificate urgently, such as a job interview or for social services, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org to request a priority service.
If you have registered a recent death, all certificates ordered will be posted to you as soon as possible via first class post.
Apply for a certificate online
The register office can provide a copy certificate for a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death that occurred within the city of Portsmouth. You will need to provide the following information:
- certificate type: marriage, civil partnership, death or birth*
- name or names the certificate applies to
- date and place of the event
- any other relevant information that may help us to locate the certificate
* There are two types of birth certificate. The full birth certificate shows all names, date and place of birth, parents' full names and occupations. For a passport application a full birth certificate is needed. A short birth certificate is also available, which shows full name, sex, date of birth and registration district of birth.
For events that have been registered less than 8 weeks ago; please contact the Register Office before requesting a certificate as a reduced fee may apply
Ways to apply
- Online - complete the online form to request a certificate. We will telephone you for payment once the entry has been searched for and found. This may take up to 5 working days depending on which service you have requested.
- By email - download and complete the relevant application form from the list below and email it to email@example.com. We will telephone you for payment once the entry has been searched for and found.
- By post - print off and complete the relevant application form below, and post it to us with the required fee. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to Portsmouth City Council. Overseas applicants are asked to send a cheque drawn in pounds sterling.
- In person - print off and complete the relevant application form below and bring it to the Register Office. Payment can be made by debit/credit card or cash.
We cannot issue a certificate until we have received payment. For events that have occurred recently a reduced fee may apply.
Standard service per certificate £11
Your certificate can be collected or will be posted to you by 2nd class mail after five working days
Priority service per certificate £35
Your certificate can be collected or posted to you by 1st class mail within 24 hours.
These commemorative certificates are a unique keepsake of a birth, marriage, civil partnership naming or vow renewal ceremony. You can see examples of each displayed at Portsmouth register office. Commemorative certificates are A4 size (210mm x 297mm), printed on quality paper and cost £5.
Commemorative certificates cannot be used for legal or statutory purposes.
Find out more on the commemorative certificates page.
Rate this page
'Rate this page' should only be used to submit feedback for a page. Please use the ' Contact us' page to report any issues.