Bulky waste - fridges, freezers, beds or sofas

Householders have a duty of care to ensure their waste is disposed of legally and safely. It is your responsibility to check that anyone taking waste away from your home has a waste carrier’s licence. They should give you a written notification of how they will be disposing of your waste.

This means that, if you ask a ‘man with a van’ to dispose of your DIY rubbish or the contents of your old shed, and he subsequently fly tips it or disposes of it illegally, you are responsible. You could be taken to court and fined up to £5,000. Protect yourself by taking reasonable measures to check that your household waste is passed on to an authorised person.

Contact the Environment Agency to check the person removing your waste is a registered waste carrier. 

If you want to get rid of an item too large for your household waste collection, but still in useable condition, such as a bed, sofa, or an appliance like a fridge or an oven, before getting rid of it consider whether it could be  re-used or recycled. You might like to:

  • donate it to charity - some, such as Sue Ryder, the British Heart Foundation and DEBRA offer free collections
  • offer it online through Freecycle or Freegle
  • advertise it for sale, or for free, in local shops, newspapers or online
  • sell it to a local second hand furniture company
  • take it to the Portsmouth recycling centre at Port Solent - who will take it free
  • have a look at our waste directory for alternative ways to dispose of it

If none of these ideas are practical, then Portsmouth City Council will collect bulky waste from your home and dispose of it in the correct way.

The cost of a bulky waste collection starts from £30 and collections are every Tuesday.

If you cancel the booking in advance, we'll refund you but if we come to your house to collect your item and then you cancel, you'll be charged a minimum fee of £30 to cover our costs.

To book a collection and discuss the options available call 023 9284 1105 or email: recyclingandrubbish@portsmouthcc.gov.uk.

Leaf fall from trees on your road (October and November) 

If you have trees on the highway next to your property, the council's contractor Colas can provide bags for you to clear leaves that fall into your front garden or forecourt, between October and November only.

Once you have bagged the leaves, you may put them out for collection by 7am on the day after your weekly waste collection, and Colas will take them away.

To request the leaf collection service email: cityhelpdesk@portsmouthcc.gov.uk.

Colas will assess your application within a week, and if successful, provide you with bags for leaf collection only. Please note, this service is not available for leaves falling from trees on private land.

Garden waste

Follow the link to find out more about composting green waste.

Some garden waste, such as woody hedge clippings, is less easy to compost than, for example, grass. But shredded, you'll have a fantastic weed-reducing and water-retaining mulch. You could hire or buy small garden shredders from many local DIY stores.

Woody garden waste less than ten centimetres in diameter is accepted at the Portsmouth recycling centre. Alternatively, register for the Green Waste Club - a fortnightly, kerbside garden waste collection service run by our waste contractor, Biffa.

Follow the link to find out how your green garden waste is recycled into a high quality, Soil Association, soil conditioner called Progrow, which you can buy from the Portsmouth recycling centre. 

Healthcare waste (medical, clinical or sharps/needle collection)

Healthcare waste is a term for waste which is produced at home as a result of medical self-treatment, such as hypodermic needles or dialysis waste. This waste may be produced on a short-term, long-term or permanent basis depending upon the condition. It is also known as clinical waste, medical waste or sharps.

Council collections

We collect the following types of healthcare waste, free of charge:

  • Sharps/needles contaminated with medicines which may potentially be infectious
  • Sharps/needles contaminated with cytotoxic/cytostatic products which may potentially be infectious
  • Bagged waste that is not infectious, or may be infectious but can be treated (includes waste from home dialysis but not incontinence pads)

To enable collection, we need to be sent a completed healthcare waste referral form (available from your GP or healthcare professional) when the first collection is ready. We will then contact the customer to arrange a home collection, usually within six working days.

For further, occasional collections the customer will need to contact us using our online form or by phone on 023 9284 1105.

If waste is being produced weekly, fortnightly, or monthly we can set up a regular service, without the need to contact the council every time.

Important information

  • The council is unable to accept healthcare waste at any council office
    • The council does not collect needles arising from non-prescribed drug use
    • Hypodermic needles and hazardous healthcare waste should never be disposed of with ordinary domestic waste. They must be contained in a specifically-provided yellow container and collected by the council
    • If patients are receiving treatment in their home from a community nurse or another NHS professional, any waste produced should be dealt with by the person providing the treatment. If the waste is assessed as an infection risk, the healthcare professional should take the waste for safe disposal
    • Used prescribed medicines or tablets should be returned to a pharmacist. If there are any other concerns about the disposal of medicines or healthcare waste, contact the GP or healthcare professional who provided them

Complete a healthcare waste collection referral