I live in a flat fronted house but I want a wheeled bin, can I have one? 

Yes, but you will need to bring it in off the pavement after collection.

Why am I only allowed to put out three standard bin bags of rubbish? 

The three standard bin bag allowance was designed to be the same as the capacity of a wheeled bin. If you are struggling with the amount of waste you are generating we can carry out an assessment dependent on your situation.

I have seen bags with stickers on being collected. Why?

There are two types of stickers that you could have seen. If it is from a flat fronted house/flat, then it is likely to be a large household/HMO that has been given extra capacity due to their situation following an assessment. It may also have been extra capacity that has been purchased from the council.

I have had a party/event and I cannot get all the bags in the bin, what can I do? 

You can either take the extra bags to the recycling centre at Port Solent or you can purchase up to 12 extra waste stickers per year from the Council. There is a charge of £24 for 12 stickers.

To buy these additional stickers, please contact 023 9284 1105. You can pay by debit or credit card.

I have bought stickers - what do I do with them? 

Please place a sticker on each extra bag that you place out. Do not place it on bags in the wheeled bin or as part of your three bag allowance. The sticker must be clearly visible to the crew member to ensure it is collected.  

As I have paid for the extra bags can I put anything I want in them? 

No, the bags must only contain normal household waste. They cannot contain recyclables, glass, garden waste, building waste, liquids or other non-household waste. If they do they will not be collected and no refund will be given.

Has my collection day changed? 

No it is still the same day, though the collection time may change, which is why we say your bags must be out by 7am for collection.

I have a dustbin. Can I still use it? 

Yes, but we will only take three bags a week.

How will excess uncollected waste be dealt with?  

Excess waste will be recorded by the crews and waste officers will investigate and take appropriate action.

I live in a flat, how does this affect me?

If you already have a communal bin for your waste there will be no change. If you are in a smaller block you may be issued with a communal bin.

What can I recycle in my green recycling bin?

  • Paper/card
  • Plastic bottles (no other plastics or plastic bags)
  • Aerosols
  • Tins/cans

Items should be clean and loose - please do not put anything other than this in the bin as this increases the costs of disposal.

What about glass and clothes? 

You can take glass and clothes to the bring banks throughout the city.

What about my garden waste?  

Take green waste to the Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Port Solent (see our website for details), compost it or join the Green Waste Club gwc.pcc@biffa.co.uk.

What about my small electrical items? 

If they can fit into a standard carrier bag then place them on the lid of your recycling bin or box on your recycling collection day.

Why can't we recycle more items? 

All the recycling we collect goes to be sorted and the sorting centre is designed to take plastic bottles, paper, card, aerosols and tins/cans and cannot sort any other items. The council is working with other local authorities to look at ways to improve and increase recycling.

How does this save the council money?  

The largest cost is on disposal of rubbish whilst recycling generates income. Therefore the new scheme should reduce costs.

I am a childminder and I have a lot of nappies to dispose of. 

If you are a childminder you are in effect running a business from home and would have to pay for a separate trade waste collection. You would not be entitled to a larger waste bin or bag allowance to accommodate this waste.

Rate this page