Coronavirus: council service information and advice

Information about changes to council services as a result of coronavirus

Give your views on the concessionary bus pass trial 

This page gives you information about disabled bus passes in Portsmouth, including how to apply or renew a pass, and what to do if your pass is lost or stolen. It will also advise you on the eligibility criteria and what proof of eligibility you will need.

We are offering eligible people a concessionary bus pass to encourage independent living, provide free transport to help reduce social isolation and encourage the use of sustainable transport. On 28 April a 6 month trial of free disabled travel was launched. This has now been extended until March 2020.

Apply for a bus pass

You can apply for a disabled person's bus pass at the Civic Offices.

You will need proof that you live in Portsmouth (such as a council tax bill, housing benefit, rent book, electoral registration or utility bill), and a passport-quality colour photograph. You will also need to bring proof of disability, such as:

  • Attendance allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance with a mobility component
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) where the applicant has been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP "Moving Around" and "Communicating Verbally" activities
  • award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS) under the War Pensions Scheme (WPS)
  • letter from the DVLA giving notice of long term refusal or withdrawal of driving license on medical grounds, (misuse of alcohol or drugs are not included under this scheme)
  • a mental health healthcare professional's standard NHS exclusion letter containing their contact details
  • blue badge
  • registration with social care (yellow card)

If you think you are eligible, but don't have any of the documents, please contact us to discuss this.


You are an eligible disabled person if you

  • are blind or partially sighted, profoundly or severely deaf, without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • have long term loss of the use of both arms or do not have arms
  • have a learning disability - a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would have an application to drive a motor vehicle refused due to your disability
  • a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service

Renew a bus pass

These passes are issued for between 1-5 years depending on your disability.

  • If your disability is temporary, you will need to reapply or show further proof when it expires to renew it.
  • If we have assessed you to have a permanent disability you will receive a new pass in the post automatically, unless we contact you before expiry.

If your bus pass is expiring in less than a week and your new one hasn't arrived, please contact us.

We send replacements to the address we have on our records, so you must let us know if your address changes.

Bus passes that expire in March 2020

If your bus pass has an orange strip you might have to provide further evidence of your disability entitlement. We will then issue you a new bus pass.

You can provide your disability entitlement by:

  • Post: please photocopy entitlement documentation and send it to us at

Concessionary Fares
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices
Guildhall Square

Using a bus pass

These passes can be used on local buses anywhere in England in accordance with the local authority's scheme. The Portsmouth scheme provides free travel all day, every day, from and within Portsmouth.

The pass can be used anywhere in England, however it is important to check the restrictions for the local authority's scheme as they differ. The bus pass does not cover travel in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Companion bus passes

The companion pass allows those unable to travel alone on public transport to have a companion travel with them free of charge. Find out more on the companion bus pass page.

Change of address

Whether you are moving within, out of or in to Portsmouth, please contact us to let us know your new address. 

Also, if you have moved into Portsmouth and currently using a previous authority bus pass you will need to apply as a new customer with us.

Lost passes

If you lose your pass, there is a £10 fee to replace it. Contact us to have your lost pass replaced.

Report stolen passes to the police, so that you get a crime reference number. With this number we will issue a replacement card without charge. We will also replace any cards with a technical problem for free.

Contact us

For more information you can contact us by: