This page tells you who can use a companion pass, and how to get in touch with us to request one.

Travelling with a companion pass

The companion pass allows those unable to travel alone on public transport to have a companion travel with them free of charge. To be eligible, you must:

  • have a concessionary travel pass from Portsmouth City Council (or be eligible for one)
  • receive housing benefit
  • have a signed declaration from a doctor confirming you are unable to travel alone

The companion pass is not allocated to anyone, so it can be used by anybody who is travelling with you. Only one companion may travel free on any one journey, and you must both get on and leave the bus at the same points.

If your journey starts outside Portsmouth, your companion may need to pay the full fare. The city boundary points can be broadly described by the following landmarks:

  • Mother Kelly's fish and chip shop on Southampton Road towards Portchester
  • The George Inn on London Road heading north
  • Havant Road and Rectory Road junction towards Bedhampton

Contact us

For more information you can contact us by:

  • Telephone: 023 9268 8599
  • Email:
  • Post: 
    Concessionary Fares
    Portsmouth City Council
    Civic Offices
    Guildhall Square
    PO1 2AL
  • In person at the Civic Offices