Apply for or renew your resident parking permit online

You can find information on applying for a resident parking permit, where to buy visitor permits and answers to questions about residents' parking in the city below.

Find out if you can get a permit for your address on the residents parking zones page.

Resident parking permits

Applying for a resident permit 

You can apply online. You will need to upload a photo (or scan) of your vehicle registration document and proof of address.

Your proof of address can include:

  • your driving licence
  • a council tax bill
  • a valid tenancy agreement
  • a solicitor’s letter confirming purchase of property
  • a utility bill from the last three months showing the address in the residents' zone.

    You will also need a copy of your vehicle registration documents (V5C) pages 1 and 2. The registration document must be in your name and registered to the permit address.

If your vehicle is registered to an old address or you have the new keeper supplement, you can still apply online. We will give you a temporary, non-refundable permit. You have six weeks to provide the documents or we will cancel your permit

You will need to pay for your permit (see below for prices). As soon as you have finished the online application and paid, you are covered to park in the residents' zone. You won't be sent a paper permit as resident parking permits are now 'virtual'. Find out which roads are covered in your zone, as there may be some restrictions in your area.

If you can't apply online, you can apply by e-mail, post or at the Civic Offices parking desk instead. You will need to bring the same documents as above. You can pay:

  • by card over the phone,
  • cheque by post,
  • cash, cheque or card at the Civic Offices. 

    Please wait 7 to 10 days for your permit to start if you apply by post or e-mail.

Resident parking permit costs

2019 prices (as of 1 January 2019)

First vehicle permit - £30

Second vehicle permit - £100

Third and subsequent vehicle permits - £590 (where space allows)

2020 prices (as of 1 January 2020)

First vehicle permit - £30

Second vehicle permit - £120

Third and subsequent vehicle permits - £630 (where space allows)

Renewing your resident permit

We will e-mail a reminder to you 28 days before your permit expires.

Make sure that you add this email address to your safe senders so that your reminder doesn't go to your junk mail folder:

If we do not have an email address for you, we will send the reminder by post. It is up to you to make sure you have a valid permit.

If your permit has expired you will need to apply for a new permit.

Visitor parking permits

What is a visitor parking permit?

You can buy visitor parking permits by registering your home or mobile number with the RingGo website. Visitor permits are for use by visitors only - not residents, who should apply for a resident permit.

You can also buy visitor permits for any visitors including workmen. You will need to show:

  • a current council tax bill, lease/rental agreement or utility bill no older than 3 months (for proof of address)
  • a photo ID, such as a driving licence (this can also be your proof of address).

There are two different visitor permits currently available:

  • 12 hour permit - £1.10 (to increase to £1.15 in 2020)
  • 24 hour permit - £2.10 (to increase to £2.20 in 2020)

    Only residents can buy visitor permits - your visitors can't buy them on your behalf. Workmen can buy them if they can show proof of working at your address, such as a quote or invoice.

Where to buy visitor parking permits

You can buy visitor permits for all zones at Central Library, Guildhall Square and Civic Offices reception. There are local purchase points for some zones - see the list below.

  • Albert Road Post Office, 114 Albert Road, Southsea, PO4 0JS - MA, MB, MC and MD zones
  • Alderman Lacey Library, 98 Tangier Rd, Baffins, PO3 6HU - HA and HB zones
  • Beddow Library, Milton Road, Milton, PO4 8PR - HA, GB, MB and NA zones
  • Buckland Post Office, 47-49 Kingston Road, Buckland, PO2 7DP - FA, FC, FD and GA zones
  • Carnegie Library, Fratton Road, Fratton, PO1 5EZ - GA, JE, JF and MB zones
  • Cosham Library, Spur Road, Cosham, PO6 3EB - AB, BA, BB, BC, BD, BE and BF zones
  • Landport Housing Office, 24 Commercial Place, PO1 4DT - FC and JB zones
  • North End Library, Gladys Avenue, PO2 9AX - FD, FE, FF, FG and FH zones
  • Portsea Library or Portsea Housing Office at the John Pounds Community Centre,  23 Queen Street, PO1 3HN - JA and JD zones
  • Southsea Library, 19-21 Palmerston Road, Southsea, PO5 3QQ - KA, KB, KC, KD, LA, LB, MC and MD zones
  • Southsea Post Office, 73 Palmerston Road, Southsea, Hampshire, PO5 3PP - KC zone
  • Somerstown Post Office, 74 - 78 St James Road, Southsea, PO5 4HZ - LA and LB zones

Not sure what the parking zone code is for your road? Find out on our Residents Parking Zones page

Frequently asked questions


How do I know if my property is in a resident parking zone? 

The residents parking zone page lists the roads covered by each scheme, including maps.

When you enter a residents parking zone, you will see signs saying 'Controlled Zone'. When you leave a zone, signs will tell you that the 'Zone Ends'.

They are also identified within the zone by further signs with the words 'XX zone permit holders exempt' (where 'XX' are the letters for the permit zone - such as GA Fratton or KC West Southsea).

I am a student - can I get a resident parking permit? 

You must live in a  Resident Permit Zone to get a permit

There are no exemptions for students. This means your vehicle must be registered in your name and to the permit address within the zone.

If your vehicle is still registered to a different address, complete either:

  • section 6 'New keeper or new name/new address details' (old style V5C log book) or
  • section 3 'Change my name and/or address' (new style V5C log book) and upload pages 1 and 2.

We also need to see your Tenancy/Rental agreement, showing your name and address together with the start and finish dates.  You can apply using our online portal.

Can I get a residents permit if I don't own the vehicle but I am a named driver on the insurance?

No. To get a resident parking permit, the vehicle must be registered to you with the DVLA at an address within the resident zone.

I live in a flat, shared house or House in Multiple Occupancy - how many of us can get a resident parking permit?

Permits are issued per postal address. A flat with its own postal address, such as Flat 1 or Flat A, is separate from other flats in the building and would be allowed up to two permits.

If you live in a room in a shared house or house in multiple occupancy, the house counts as one postal address. This means it is allowed up to two permits. We may issue a third permit where space allows. 

Special vehicles

Can I get a permit for my company van or commercial vehicle?

Yes. We can issue vans and commercial vehicles with a permit if you own the vehicle or this is the only vehicle at the property.

If the vehicle is needed for regular emergency call-outs outside of normal working hours, it may qualify for a permit. You will need a letter from your line manager confirming the nature of these call outs and the vehicle make, model and registration number. You will need to provide three months of time-sheets showing the date, time, address and the reason the vehicle has been called out in an emergency.

Only vehicles with a gross weight less than 3,501kg can qualify for a permit, even if the vehicle is registered to you at your address

Apply online here.

Can I get a permit for a lease/company car or taxi/private hire? 

Yes. You can get a permit for a lease vehicle, company car or taxi/private hire. You will need to provide a copy of the lease, or a letter from the company on headed paper showing:

  • the driver's name
  • address
  • vehicle registration number
  • make
  • model
  • lease period (for lease vehicles and taxis/private hires)

You will also need to provide proof of your address. 

Apply online and upload the lease agreement or company letter as proof of vehicle. Individual lease agreements for finance purposes will not be accepted.

Can I get a permit for a courtesy car?

Yes. If you have a courtesy car from a garage because of an accident or repair, please call us on  023 9268 8310. We can change the permit details and give you a temporary permit.

You will need to e-mail a copy of the hire agreement to - there is no charge for this. When your original vehicle has been repaired, you will need to call us so we change the details back.

If your car is written off and you replace the vehicle, the process is the same as changing your vehicle. This will cost £10.

Can a foreign registered vehicle have a resident permit?

No. The vehicle must be re-registered in this country first, and issued with a new registration number and document by the DVLA. This will confirm it is registered to you at an address within the zone.

Can I have more than one registration number on a permit?

If you have access to more than one vehicle please contact us on  023 9268 8310 for more details. An additional charge will apply.

Changes in circumstances

What happens if I change my vehicle?

We can change the registration on a permit, but unfortunately this can't be done online. You will need to provide:

  • the vehicle registration document,
  • new keeper’s supplement,
  • sales receipt or lease agreement showing full vehicle details together with your old vehicle registration and address.

It costs £10 to change details on a permit.

If we don't see the registration document or lease agreement in your name at the permit address, we will give you a temporary permit. You will then have six weeks to provide us with the documents, otherwise your permit will be cancelled.

E-mail with change of vehicle in the subject line. You can also apply by post or in person at the Civic Offices.

What happens if I change my address?

Please e-mail in advance with the permit number or vehicle registration number, together with the date your are leaving the address. The Parking team will then cancel the permit.

If you are moving to an area with a parking zone (even if you are moving within the same parking zone), you will need to apply for a new permit. To do this, you'll need to send your V5c (log book) and proof of your new address via the Parking Permit Portal.

You will also need to send your V5c (log book) to the DVLA to update the address. You will have six weeks to provide a copy of the V5c or we will cancel your permit.

Can I update my details online?

Unfortunately you can't update your details online. We hope to have this option in the future.

Further information