A memorial to staff of Handley's of Southsea who lost their lives in the First World War has been donated to Portsmouth museum service by Debenhams for display at City Museum.
Handley's of Southsea opened in 1869 on the corner of Palmerston Road and Osborne Road, but was completely destroyed in bombing during World War II. After the war, Handley’s was rebuilt on the same site and opened in 1955 with the memorial on display.
The memorial was donated to Portsmouth City Council's museum service from the Debenhams store where it's been on display.
Made by Lewin of Southsea the memorial to employees from George Handley's store it's an important part of the story of life in Portsmouth during the wars.
Cllr Pitt, Cabinet Member for Culture and City Development at Portsmouth City Council said: "This memorial is significant because it is the only private business war memorial in the city that we know of. The museum service is pleased to have it amongst the collection of objects that tell the story of the city and its people; this one captures how a department store remembered its staff."
Text from the memorial:
STAFF OF MESSRS. HANDLEYS LTD
WHO JOINED THE COLORS
IN PROUD AND
6th WEST KENT
6th JATS INDIAN
THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE
Tollerfield D. was probably Charles E. Tollerfield of 96 Talbot Road, Southsea
Richard Cartwright lived at 22 Broad Street.
Charles Jerome was at 7 Smith's View.
Howard Clement Pace trained as an outfitter whilst living in Horsham.
Frederick Whaley was from Hitchin and stayed at the hostel at Portland House run by Handley's for employees
Emington F. should be Frederick Arthur Eminton (without the 'g'), who also stayed at the hostel.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission have no trace of Carpenter N.C.