Portsmouth City Council's Children's Social Care team has been rated 'Good' by Ofsted following their recent inspection.
The report evaluates the impact of leaders on social work practice, the experiences and progress of children who need help and protection, the experiences and progress of children and care leavers and the overall effectiveness of the service - Portsmouth's Children's Social Care was rated good across all four elements.
The report highlighted a number of positives:
- Social workers have good relationships with children and children's wishes are sought and acted on: "Children are at the heart of social work practice".
- The authority's well embedded restorative model of practice draws on families' strengths, focusing on maintaining children in their families wherever possible.
- Partnership working is well established at all levels and children and families receive a seamless and effective service.
- Senior managers monitor workloads to ensure they are manageable and social workers and managers have good opportunities for development through the well-regarded Stronger Futures Academy.
- Strong political and corporate support for children's services ensures that children's needs are prioritised
Cllr Rob Wood, Cabinet Member for Children's Services said: "This is an excellent result, well down to all those involved. Ofsted's report shows that children in Portsmouth get a good service from Children's Social Care. The team's work is child centred and partnership focused. This combination results in the best possible outcomes for the children in our care."
Alison Jeffery, Director for Children's Service said: "The report is a credit to our social workers and early help staff, and what they achieve for the city's young people. I know just how hard they work and it is fantastic to see the quality of that work recognised by Ofsted. They put children and their welfare at the forefront of everything they do. . I'd like to thank all our staff for the commitment and dedication they show every day. We are determined to build on this and keep improving."
If you are interested in a career in social work in Portsmouth contact firstname.lastname@example.org