Get writing and enter our short story competition!
The city has a strong literacy heritage and now you can join the ranks of Portsmouth writers like Dickens & Conan Doyle with the Portsmouth Short Story Competition which opens on Friday 26 July.
If you're a budding writer aged 16 or over, or want to try your hand at story writing for the first time, enter the short story competition and you could win £500 and see your story posted online. Submit your entry by Friday 8 November to a Portsmouth Library or by post, with your completed entry form and your £5 entry fee (cheques made payable to Portsmouth City Council).
This year's theme is to take one of these photographs from the Portsmouth Archive Collection and write a story about it.
Photographs in large format:
Check at your local library for an entry form and terms and conditions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 023 9268 8064.
To help you to get inspired and get writing we've got a series of free short story writing taster sessions throughout the summer:
- Saturday 27th July Southsea Library cafe 3.30pm-5.30pm with Judy Waite
- Wednesday 7th August Beddow Library 7-9pm with Amanda Garrie
- Tuesday 13th August Southsea Library café 7-9pm with Amanda Garrie
- Wednesday 14th August Carnegie Library with 2pm-4pm Christine Lawrence
- Tuesday 20th August Central Library 4-6pm with Christine Lawrence
To book your place at one of the writing taster sessions at your local library or call 023 9268 8064 or emailing email@example.com
Portsmouth Short Story Information leaflet