This page gives you information about how a disabled facilities grant can help you cover the cost of adapting your home. It also tells you about other options available.

What is a disabled facilities grant?

A disabled facilities grant can help to pay for adaptations in your home. If you can be registered disabled, you will be able to apply for a grant. It does not matter if you are a tenant or you own the property.

After you contact us, one of our occupational therapists will assess your needs and decide what adaptations are required. The property will then be assessed by a housing renewals officer to make sure the adaptations can be carried out. Some of the adaptations that might be considered include:

  • Replacing a bath with a level-access shower
  • Installing a stair lift
  • Adding an external ramp to the property

    You will be financially assessed to decide how much you will pay towards the works.

How do I apply?

Call the helpdesk on 023 9268 0810 to speak to an occupational therapist about what adaptation you need. If a private occupational therapist has recommended an adaptation, we can consider this as well.

What other help can I get?

There are a few other options to help you get support with a major adaptation:

  • Disabled facilities assistance - This is a loan of up to £10,000 to help you meet the amount you have to pay towards your disabled facilities grant.
  • Disabled persons equipment replacement assistance - This is a grant of up to £5,000 to replace broken equipment, such as stair lifts or shower units. This grant is means-tested.
  • Palliative care assistance - This is a grant to fund a stair lift installation.

All of the above can be discussed with an occupational therapist by calling the helpdesk on 023 9268 0810

Another option is a down-sizing property loan. These are loans of up to £3,000 for people over the age of 65. This is to meet the cost of moving to a smaller property to suit your changing needs. It can be used to pay solicitor's fees, structural survey fees and removal services. To find out more, call the housing renewals team on 023 9268 8369 or email them at

Disabled Facilities Grant Process

Disabled Facilities Grants - How they work

Rate this page