If you'd like to buy a small parcel of land from the council (for parking or gardening use, such as putting up a shed or garage) you'll be responsible for paying our legal and surveyors' costs which are about £750.
This payment includes a non-refundable, up-front payment of around £300 for the initial investigations and a £450 legal fee to be paid on completion. VAT is added to most transactions.
The price of land used for parking or gardening is around £100 - £150 per square metre. If you want to buy land to build an extension to your residential property, the price is assessed differently. Planning permission for a change of use is often required for land sales.
The basic procedure for purchasing land from us is:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask if we will sell a particular area of land, confirming what you wish to use it for, and specifying how you will enclose the land once it's yours.
- We will confirm whether the land is ours.
- If it is, we consult with various council departments to find out if we can sell the land for your specified use. This usually takes a few days.
- If we can't sell for that usage, we'll let you know why.
- If we can sell for that use, we sometimes need to consult with other people (such as other residents in the area), which may take up to six weeks. We have to consider local people's views, so may have to write to them to see if anyone objects to your proposals or if they want to buy the land themselves.
- Based on the result of our investigations we will either make you an offer, or reject your proposal. All offers we make are subject to contract and without prejudice. Offers, usually, are valid for 12 months to give you enough time to apply for any relevant planning permission.
- At this point, if you need planning permission for change of use you would need to apply and pay all associated costs. Follow the links for information on submitting a planning application in Portsmouth or for land in Havant (such as Leigh Park).
- If planning permission is granted, you can accept our offer by email and appoint a solicitor. After accepting, we pass the sale to our legal team for preparation of the deed, and to complete the sale. The legal process takes around 8-16 weeks.