Coronavirus: council service information and advice
Information about changes to council services as a result of coronavirus
This page gives specific advice for former members of the armed forces who are homeless, or worried about becoming homeless.
If you are a former member of the armed forces
- The code of guidance has a specific chapter which advises councils how to deal with applications from former services personnel
- As well as the usual factors we must consider when deciding whether you are entitled to temporary accommodation whilst your application is being assessed, we must also consider whether you are vulnerable as a result of your time spent serving in the forces
- You may be entitled to further advice or financial support from charities such as the Royal British Legion or SSAFA to help you keep your home or find other accommodation
- Our allocation policy (which sets the rules for the housing waiting list) puts former members of the armed forces in a better position than others. For example, you might be considered to have a local connection when you ordinarily wouldn't, or you may receive additional priority.
The Housing Needs Advice and Support team offer advice and support if you are homeless or worried about becoming homeless:
- Open Monday to Thursday, 9am - 5pm and Friday 9am - 4pm (no appointment needed for initial advice)
- Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2AX
- 023 9283 4989 - firstname.lastname@example.org
A very limited service is available outside of these hours for crisis situations only on 023 9282 4244.