In the Portsmouth area there are around 1500 sheltered accommodation properties, designed or adapted to meet the support needs of elderly or vulnerable people. There are several different property types, mainly one-bedroom flats and bed-sits, some two-bedroom flats and a few bungalows. All properties are linked to a 24-hour alarm system.
The accommodation is divided into three categories depending on facilities available:
This is unfurnished accommodation, often in blocks ranging from two to 25 floors high, mainly in Portsmouth City area. Most are close to facilities such as shops, bus routes and post offices. Some, but not all, residents will have support needs. Category 1 housing has the following:
- some properties have communal lounges and laundry facilities
- visitors use an intercom on the front door of the block to contact residents, who have door release buttons in their flats
- generally, one manager per block is on site Monday to Friday, 9-5pm. They also respond to alarm calls if on duty. Otherwise, alarm calls are received at a central hub, which arranges the appropriate response, usually sending someone from the Out of Hours Response Team
- managers arrange regular contact and support, as agreed with the resident.
- staff can provide a range of support tasks, including emergency shopping and collecting prescriptions. In some cases a meal can be arranged (there is a separate charge for this).
Is all situated in either Crookhorn, Leigh Park or Wecock Farm. It is unfurnished accommodation for older people with support needs, with the same facilities as category 1, plus:
- pull cord alarm call system in place in all blocks
- all properties have communal lounges and laundry facilities
- not all properties have a private bath or shower, some share facilities
- the manager will will be on site Monday to Friday, 9-5pm , but is supported by one or more assistants
Specifically for older people with higher support needs, mostly in the city, 1 block at Cosham and 1 at Paulsgrove and mostly two to three floors high. They have with the same facilities as category 2, plus:
- all blocks have communal facilities, such as lounge, dining area and laundry room
- flats all have private bathroom. Some offer assisted bath or showers, such as Parker baths and wet rooms
- a manager and support assistants are on site 24 hours a day
- support staff can prepare and provide a heated meal if requested (there is a separate charge for this), domestic support such as cleaning can be arranged.