We have a range of financial help to cover the cost of adapting your home for your needs. All except the Disabled Facilities Grant are discretionary and subject to available finance.   

Disabled facilities grant

Grants are available to help with the cost of adapting your home for use by a person who is registerable as disabled and living in the propertyApplicants may be owner-occupiers or private sector tenants who are eligible to be registered with Adult Social Care as disabled. 

An expert Occupational Therapist from Portsmouth City Council's Adult Social Care team will assess the needs of the disabled person and determine what adaptations might help to meet their needs. The property will then be assessed by a Housing Renewals Officer from the Private Sector Housing department to ensure the adaptations are practical and reasonable. Typical work may include replacing a bath with a level access shower, providing a stair lift, or external ramped access to the property. Applicants must be financially means tested to assess their contribution to the cost of the works.

Private Occupational Therapist recommendations will be considered by Portsmouth City Council for grant aid.

How to apply

Portsmouth City Council’s Adult Social Care team or an independent application can be made to Portsmouth City Council with a Private Occupational Therapist recommendation.

Portsmouth City Council’s Adult Social Care team 

Contact the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on 023 9268 0810

For further information on Disabled Facility Grants see associated documents below.

Disabled Facilities Assistance

An affordable loan of up to £10,000 to help meet your means tested contribution towards the mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant.

Disabled Persons Equipment Replacement Assistance

A means tested grant of up to £5,000 to replace broken or unserviceable equipment. This could include replacement of stair-lifts or shower units.

Palliative Care Assistance

A grant to fund the installation of a stair-lift.

All applications for the above assistances will need to be supported by a referral from a social services Occupational Therapist.

Down-Sizing Property Loan

Discretionary loans of up to £3,000 are available to clients aged 65 or over to meet the immediate costs of moving to a smaller property or one that is more suitable for your changing needs.  The loan can be used to cover typical moving costs such as solicitor's fees, structural survey fees, removals services, etc.  The loan must be repaid in full, including interest, on the sale or the transfer of the property, or on the 2 year anniversary of the loan, whichever comes first.

How to apply

For more information and full terms and conditions, contact the Housing Renewals team on 023 9268 8369 or email housing.privatesector@portsmouthcc.gov.uk.


Tags Open / Close

Related subjects Open / Close

Rate this page