For more information, or to request an assessment of your care and support needs, call 023 9268 0810 (Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5pm, Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm).

For practical ways to look after yourself, and stay independent for longer, our Independence and wellbeing team may be able to help - email or call 023 9284 1762.

Prevention tips


Stay strong and steady on your feet to avoid falls

We all occasionally trip or lose our balance, but certain health conditions and medication can make falls more likely, or the injuries more serious. To stay steady on your feet, it's important to stay active, have your sight and hearing checked regularly, look after your feet, and fix any loose carpets or other hazards at home.

Search falls on the Healthwatch directory for help with this.


Socialise and have fun

Having friends you can rely on can be as good for your wellbeing as being a non-smoker and maintaining a healthy weight. Luckily, there's plenty going on in Portsmouth to help you meet new people.

Search social on the Healthwatch directory to find details of transport services, online forums, telephone helplines and befrienders. 


Eat well and drink plenty of water

If your health condition, disability or medication affects your diet, search healthy eating on the Healthwatch Directory for tips tailored to different appetites, tastes and abilities.

Also search cooking for accessible courses to help you try your hand at new recipes, or meals for lunch and dinner clubs and meals delivery with no cooking required.


Look after the pennies

Most people will need to pay towards their care and support, so planning ahead can help to stretch your funds further.

For personalised financial advice look for an independent financial advisor on the Healthwatch Directory, or visit our money advice page for more general advice and resources.

Adult social care works with adults who need support with their daily living.

If you think you may need care and support, you can request an assessment by calling our Adult Social Care Helpdesk on 023 9268 0810.

The assessment uses the national eligibility criteria set out in the Care Act 2014.

For more information about how we assess eligibility, see Your Assessment.

If you are not eligible for adult social care, there are many local voluntary groups or preventative services that may be able to help. For information about support in the community, see our Independence and Wellbeing page.

Do you look after someone? The Care Act 2014 also sets an eligibility criteria for carers. If you look after someone who wouldn't be able to manage without your help, such as a friend or family member, you are considered a carer and could be eligible for support.

See our Carers pages for information on assessment and support for carers.

If you are not happy with our service, you have the right to make a complaint.

We welcome all types of feedback and take complaints very seriously as they can be an opportunity to improve our services . We will work with you to sort things out quickly and fairly. Making a complaint will not affect the way you are treated or your right to use our services.

Follow the link for much more information about making a complaint about Adult Social Care.


Access Your Social Care Records

When you have an assessment, we create a file for you on our secure computer system.

We record information like your contact details, your assessment and your support plan. We only keep the information we need to provide a good service.

To find out more about the information we hold about you, how we use it, and how we keep it safe, see the Social Care Records Guarantee in the documents section below.

If you also receive services from other council departments, such as housing or council tax, you need to contact them separately if you want to know what information they hold about you.

You have the right to ask to see the information we have on your file. Nobody else is allowed to see it unless you give permission. For this reason you will need to prove your identity before we let you see your information.

To ask to see your Adult Social Care record, please complete and return our Access to Records Form (available from the documents section below) and send it with your proof of identity and £10 administration fee, to the following address.

Access to Records Coordinator in Social Care
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices
Guildhall Square

Our own staff are only one part of the city's social care workforce, so to support the wider community, we offer two programmes of high-quality, specialist training to carers, and anyone working or volunteering with vulnerable adults.


SCAT-PP Training Programme

Follow the link to read more about the SCAT-PP programme which has been established for over 10 years and trains around 500 carers, workers and volunteers from more than 50 organisations every year.

Topics covered include:

  • Case recording and time management
  • First Aid
  • Moving and handling
  • Care certificate
  • Safeguarding


Health and Wellbeing Workforce Development Programme

Public Health and Adult Social Care's Independence and Wellbeing Team supports volunteers, community workers and carers with skills to promote health, wellbeing and independent living in the city.

For a full list of courses or to book, email or call 023 9284 1762.

Topics covered include:

  • Sexual health and relationships
  • Substance misuse
  • Food, health and food hygiene
  • Intercultural competence
  • Falls prevention