Coronavirus: council service information and advice
Information about changes to council services as a result of coronavirus
This page tells you about the support available for those who have issues with their hearing or vision. Find out how you can get support and equipment, and what other services are available in Portsmouth.
Support for hearing and sight loss
The sensory team are able to help those who have problems with their hearing or sight. Common hearing problems that we can support with include:
- Finding it difficult to follow a conversation
- Complaints from family or neighbours about how loud you need to have your TV to hear it
- Trouble hearing/responding to your smoke alarm (especially when sleeping at night)
- Missing callers at the door or telephone because you couldn't hear them
Common visual problems we can help with include:
- Finding it difficult to read regular or large-print
- Trouble making a hot drink or using kitchen appliances
- Tripping or falling; bumping into people
- Trouble with the lighting around the home
- Struggling to identify your medication properly
Contact the sensory team for advice, support and equipment with any of the above and more. There is no referral process, and anyone can contact us including family, friends or neighbours. How much support we give you is up to you - if you only want advice, then we will be happy to help.
You can contact the sensory team by:
- Phoning 023 9268 0810 and asking to speak to the sensory team
- Texting 079 3180 6986 with your name and what you need help with.
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your details and what you need help with.
Our sensory team will be able to assess you, and can provide you with equipment to support your hearing or visual needs. We will deliver and install the equipment you need. They can also train you on how to manage with your hearing or visual needs more independently.
Before contacting our team we would advise you to have an updated eye test and a hearing check which can be arranged by your GP. If your glasses or hearing aids are still not enough please contact us for support.
Sensory equipment shop
The sensory equipment shop is based on the second floor of Central Library in Guildhall Square. If you are interested in visiting, you need to make an appointment. Call 023 9282 9923 to speak to Julie, who can arrange this for you.
Julie will be there when you visit, and will be able to advise you on purchases and demonstrate equipment to you. She also runs IT classes and counselling for those with sight loss.
Groups for people with hearing or sight loss
The Frank Sorrell Centre in Eastney runs regular groups for people with hearing loss, sight loss, and a mixed group for both. You can contact the Frank Sorrell Centre on 023 9282 4853 for more information about what support the groups will offer, and how to get involved.
You can find information about more groups and support available in Portsmouth on the Healthwatch directory.
Rate this page
'Rate this page' should only be used to submit feedback for a page. Please use the ' Contact us' page to report any issues.