The virtual school is a team at the council that helps looked after children receive an education that will meet their individual needs, and will support them at school. The team will help to:
- Remove problems that may get in the way of the education children and young people in the care of Portsmouth City Council receive.
- Ensure that there is suitable education in place for all children looked after by the local authority.
- Ensure that all looked after children have personal education plans (PEPs) which are checked at least once per term.
- Check on how looked after children are progressing, feeling and their school attendance record.
- Ensure that the enhanced pupil premium is provided correctly, in line with the needs identified in a child's personal education plan, and measuring the impact and effectiveness of this.
- Provide advice, guidance and training for social workers, foster carers and schools over the education of looked after children.
- Ensure that all professionals (eg teachers, social workers) who are involved in the education of a looked after child talk with each other when they need to.
- Talk with the special education needs team where children have special educational needs.
- Help looked after children and young people to be treated fairly.