If your house or business was flooded at any point between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014, you might be eligible for help under the 'Repair and Renew Grant'.

The Repair and Renew Grant (RRG) provides homes and business premises affected by flooding with a grant of up to £5,000 to establish flood resilience / resistance measures to reduce the impact and risk of flooding in future - this could take the form of door guards or waterproofing for external walls.

The RRG is not for repairs that would normally be covered by insurance. 

Applications can be made from 1 April 2014. Work must be completed by 31 March 2015.

Who can apply?

You can apply for the RRG if you are the owner of a primary accommodation (such as a house or static caravan) or a business-critical commercial premises where internal flood damage occurred between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014.

  • Applicants must not have received other sources of public or insurance funding to establish the same resilience / resistance measures applied for
  • Business applicants will need to comply with state aid requirement (as per annex C of the Flood Support Schemes guidance)
  • Applicants should utilise advice on the Property Protection Adviser website to help select the most appropriate resilience measures for their property
  • Properties that benefit from a wider community flood defence scheme prior to winter 2014 are not eligible to apply

What you can apply for

You can apply for up to £5,000 grant funding towards 100% of the costs (including VAT) of purchasing and installing appropriate resilience / resistance measures from the list below.

Should you choose to implement measures in excess of £5,000, the cost must be met from alternative resources.

Resistance MeasuresResilience Measures
Demountable Door Guards Replace sand-cement screeds on solid concrete slabs (with dense screed)
Demountable Window Guards Replace chipboard flooring with treated timber floorboards
Airbrick Cover Replace floor including joists with treated timber to make water resilient
Sewage Bung Replace timber floor with solid concrete
Toilet Pan Seal Raise floor above most likely flood level
Sump Pump Replace mineral insulation within walls with closed cell insulation
Re-pointing external walls with water resistant mortar Replace gypsum plaster with water resistant material, such as lime
Waterproof external walls Install chemical damp-proof course below joist level
Automatic Door Guards Replace doors, windows, frames with water-resistant alternatives
Permanent flood door Sceptic tank resistance or resilience measures (such as isolation valves, venting above flood level etc)
Automatic Window Guards Mount boilers on wall
Self-closing airbrick Move washing machine to first floor
Non-return valves 110mm soil waste pipe Replace ovens with raised, build-under type
NRV 40mm utility waste pipe Move electrics well above likely flood level
NRV 12mm overflow pipe Move service meters well above likely flood level
Garage/ Driveway Barrier Replace chipboard kitchen/ bathroom units with plastic units
Professional advice on flood resistance/ resilience

Flood Risk Report


How to apply

Complete the form below and send it by email to guy.mason@portsmouthcc.gov.uk or by post to Guy Mason, Portsmouth City Council, Civic Offices, Portsmouth, PO1 2AL. We will assess your application and reply with with a decision.


Tags Open / Close

Related subjects Open / Close

Rate this page