In helping to shape the great waterfront city we are committed to improving the quality and affordability of housing in Portsmouth to deliver a balanced housing market for all sections of the community.
The community housing team is responsible for:
- investigating local and regional housing needs, see our policies & strategies
- engaging with a range of stakeholders about their housing plans
- ensuring that the community's housing and housing with support needs are met
- working with developers to promote opportunities for new affordable housing
- maintaining the profile of housing delivery across the city so that this area of work benefits from the council's powers and resources
- in considering the needs of the area, we work closely with local residents, councillors and other council departments to create diverse and sustainable communities
We mainly work with specialist housing providers to increase the amount of affordable housing in Portsmouth. These homes are a mixture of low cost sale and homes for rent at costs below the private open market level.
Homes that are affordable are procured in a variety of ways and in the current economic climate we seek to support the development of about 150 new affordable homes each year.
To assist developers to provide affordable housing we have published a guidance document on our affordable housing policies, which is available below.
For advice and support on developing sites in Portsmouth which include affordable housing:
- email email@example.com
- write to Community Housing, Portsmouth City Council, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, Hants PO1 2AY
- phone us on 023 9284 1567 or 023 9283 4154
Alternatively, visit Homes in Hants for more information on getting support to buy a home in Hampshire - or follow the link to find out about our recent housing developments.