Coronavirus: council service information and advice

Information about changes to council services as a result of coronavirus

If you're pregnant 

If you're pregnant and living with a person with symptoms of coronavirus, you should try to find somewhere else to live for 14 days. If this isn't possible, try to keep away from each other as much as possible.

For more information, read advice given by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.

  • If you are pregnant it is important that you still attend your antenatal appointments and continue to seek advice from your midwife or maternity team.
  • If you are worried about your health or the health of your unborn baby, please contact your midwife or maternity team.

Registering a birth

It may be more difficult for parents of new-borns to register their child’s birth given the government guidelines around coronavirus. Because of this, HMRC has announced that parents are not required to have registered their child’s birth in order to claim child benefit. Further information about claiming child benefit can be found on Gov.UK.

Breastfeeding and infant feeding support

If you are still receiving midwifery care and need advice on feeding your baby:

  • Portsmouth Maternity Centre - call 023 805 40777
  • If during the night - call 02392 286000 (extension 3284)

    If your baby is over 10 days old, and you need support with issues including breastfeeding, formula feeding or introduction to solid foods, contact:
  • Solent Health Visiting Service - call 0300 123 6629
  • Solent Pulse Text Message Advice Service - 07491 163275
  • National Breastfeeding Helpline - 0300 100 0212 (09.30am – 09.30pm)