Coronavirus: council service information and advice

Information about changes to council services as a result of coronavirus

If your child becomes unwell

If your child becomes unwell during the coronavirus outbreak you can still get help. It is important to get help whether it is coronavirus or something else. You can follow the NHS Solent information sheet for further guidance and Healthier Together/RCPCH poster to help with symptoms and appropriate action.

Parents of children aged 0-5

If you have questions about your children's health, feeding, sleeping, crying, minor ailments, or you have postnatal depression, please contact the Duty Health Visitor on 0300 123 6629.

Solent Pulse is a text messaging service that is also available for parents to text any questions to:

  • a Health Visitor on 07491 163275, or
  • a School Nurse on 07491 163276

If you think your baby or child is unwell and you are worried, please seek advice as you would do normally by contacting NHS 111 or your GP as appropriate. You may also find the Healthier Together Website helpful for guidance on childhood illness and well-being. 

If it’s a serious or life-threatening emergency, call 999

You can find early years activities and educational resources, in the 'Activities for children at home' section.

Support from family hubs

You can find details of parenting surgeries being offered over the phone here.

The Triple P Parenting Programme is tailored specifically to parents of pre-teens and teenagers during the COVID19 pandemic. They have available a PDF guide, online course, free digital magazine, articles on home schooling and various other resources to support not only typical issues related to parenting adolescents but also the extra pressures of this current situation.

Personal protective equipment

Face coverings should not be used by babies and children under 2.