After over 5 years of working with voluntary and community sector (VCS) organisations in the city, the Action Portsmouth contract finished at the end of March. Portsmouth City Council are re-assessing how services are to be delivered in the city and are looking at a new and exciting business model around working with the VCS in the future. Over the next few months, whilst these new ways of working are being developed, voluntary and community groups in the city will continue to be supported and from April 4 Jan Thomas will be based in Portsmouth central library as sector support advisor.
Jan is the business development manager at Citizens Advice Portsmouth and has extensive experience and understanding of the voluntary and statutory sectors. Her role will be to:
- Help and support voluntary and community sector (VCS) organisations and/or residents in the city wanting to form groups to meet local needs and to help existing groups needing support to be sustainable.
- Help groups to find funding, assist them to make small applications for under £10,000 and support them to use the money appropriately.
- Advise on best practice, policies and procedures
- Help identify training needs and resources
- Work with groups to develop new opportunities and help existing projects to prosper.
- Help to build links with other groups and agencies.
Jan will also be working alongside the voluntary sector support team and groups to plan meetings and networking events.
You can contact Jan by emailing SectorSupport@portsmouthcc.gov.uk or telephoning 07824 457436
The location of the Sector Support meetings has now changed to bring them closer to the community. Please set up a meeting via SectorSupport@portsmouthcc.gov.uk if you would like a visit or to arrange an appointment, and Jan will get back to you as soon as she can.