Portsmouth city council

Follow the link to find out more about composting green waste.

Some garden waste, such as woody hedge clippings, is less easy to compost than, for example, grass. But shredded, you'll have a fantastic weed-reducing and water-retaining mulch. You could hire or buy small garden shredders from many local DIY stores. 

Woody garden waste less than ten centimetres in diameter is accepted at the Portsmouth recycling centre. Alternatively, register for the Green Waste Club - a fortnightly, kerbside garden waste collection service run by our waste contractor, Biffa.

Follow the link to find out how your green garden waste is recycled into a high quality, Soil Association, soil conditioner called Progrow, which you can buy from the Portsmouth recycling centre. 

If you have trees on the highway next to your property, the council's contractor Colas can provide bags for you to clear leaves that fall into your front garden or forecourt, between October and November only.

Once you have bagged the leaves, you may put them out for collection by 7am on the day after your weekly waste collection, and Colas will take them away.

To request the leaf collection service email cityhelpdesk@portsmouthcc.gov.uk.

Colas will assess your application within a week, and if successful, provide you with bags for leaf collection only. Please note, this service is not available for leaves falling from trees on private land.

Householders have a duty of care to ensure their waste is disposed of legally and safely. It is your responsibility to check that anyone taking waste away from your home has a waste carrier’s licence. They should give you a written notification of how they will be disposing of your waste.

This means that, if you ask a ‘man with a van’ to dispose of your DIY rubbish or the contents of your old shed, and he subsequently fly tips it or disposes of it illegally, you are responsible. You could be taken to court and fined up to £5,000. Protect yourself by taking reasonable measures to check that your household waste is passed on to an authorised person.

Contact the Environment Agency to check the person removing your waste is a registered waste carrier. 

If you want to get rid of an item too large for your household waste collection, but still in useable condition, such as a bed, sofa, or an appliance like a fridge or an oven, before getting rid of it consider whether it could be re-used or recycled. You might like to:

  • donate it to charity - some, such as Sue Ryder and the British Heart Foundation offer free collections
  • offer it online through Freecycle or Freegle
  • advertise it for sale, or for free, in local shops, newspapers or online
  • sell it to a local second hand furniture company
  • take it to the Portsmouth recycling centre at Port Solent - who will take it free
  • have a look at our waste directory for alternative ways to dispose of it

If none of these ideas are practical, then Portsmouth City Council will collect bulky waste from your home and dispose of it in the correct way.

Contact City Helpdesk to book a collection and discuss the options below:

Chargeable bulky waste collection

Costs start from £30 to collect and dispose of large bulky items every Tuesday. If you cancel the booking in advance, we will refund you. If we come to your house to collect your item and then you cancel, we charge a minimum fee of £30 to cover our costs.

Please note that hypodermic needles and hazardous healthcare waste should never be disposed of with ordinary domestic waste at home.

Patients receiving treatment at home

If patients are receiving treatment in their home from a community nurse or another NHS professional, any waste produced should be dealt with by the person providing the treatment. If the waste is assessed as an infection risk, the healthcare professional treating you should take the waste for safe disposal.

Patients self-treating and sharps collection

As long as waste is not an infection risk it can be double-wrapped in plastic bags and sealed.  It can then be disposed of with the normal household waste. 

If you require a sharps box to be collected by us from your home, you will need to ask your doctor or healthcare professional to arrange this service using a 'healthcare waste referral form'.

Your GP will already have this form at the surgery and will return this to us on your behalf (some surgeries may ask you to return the form to us yourselves). We will write to you when we have processed the form with instructions for how to book a collection - or you can book a sharps collection online.

Please also note that we do not supply sharps boxes - these should be given to you by your doctor or healthcare professional.

If you have any other types of sharps or healthcare waste you are unsure how to dispose of, contact the doctor or healthcare practitioner who prescribed them or provided you with them. They will be able to advise you how to dispose of them and refer you to us to receive a domestic healthcare waste collection, if necessary.

  • Please note - we are unable to accept healthcare waste, including sharps boxes, at any council office

In the case of any used medicines or tablets, you should return them to a pharmacist. 

Book a sharps/needle collection