All of the advice services listed below are free, confidential and impartial. A debt adviser will:
- treat everything you say in confidence
- never judge you or make you feel bad about your situation
- always be happy to talk to you, however small or big your problem is
- suggest ways of dealing with debts that you might not know about
- check you have applied for all the benefits and entitlements available to you (they will need details of your current income, any savings, housing costs and Council Tax)
- give advice about better ways of managing your money
Advice Portsmouth, funded by Portsmouth City Council, is for anyone who lives or works in Portsmouth.
They provide advice and support, including debt, welfare benefits, housing and employment. They also run a family law advice clinic.
- Phone 023 9279 4340
- Visit 116 Kingston Crescent, North End
- Drop-in Mondays to Wednesdays 9am - 5pm, Thursdays 1pm - 7.30pm or Fridays 9am - 4.30pm
Portsmouth Citizens Advice Bureau
Portsmouth Citizens Advice Bureau provides a free, confidential and impartial debt advice centre at Ark Royal House, Winston Churchill Avenue, PO1 2GF (opposite Central Police Station).
- Phone 023 9285 5855
- Drop-in Monday - Friday, 9am -12.30pm
If you live or work in the Cosham and Paulsgrove areas, Cosham Citizen’s Advice Bureau can provide free, confidential and impartial advice, including debts, housing, benefits, employment and family breakdown, at Northern Roundabout, Northern Road, Cosham.
- Phone 03444 111306
- Drop-in on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10am - 4pm
Age UK Portsmouth
For people aged 50 and over, Age UK Portsmouth offers a range of advice and support including free benefits checks and help with application forms. They can also offer information and advice to help keep fuel bills down.
- Phone 023 9286 2121
- Bradbury Centre, 16-18 Kingston Road, Portsmouth PO1 5RZ
- Drop-in Monday to Thursday 8.45am - 5pm, Friday 8.45am - 4.30pm
The Family Information Service
The Family Information Service provides a range of advice for families including benefits checks, and also information and advice on paying for pre-school and childcare.
Follow the link for much more information on the Family Information Service.
Financial Assessments and Benefits team
The Financial Assessments and Benefits team is a visiting team for Adult Social Care clients - it offers a full welfare benefits advice service to clients, their carer(s) and family members living in the same household.
The team works in partnership with the local pension service, is accredited to assist clients with form completion and will support Adult Social Care clients in all areas related to welfare benefits.
Portsmouth City Council tenants
Tenants are able to access help with tenancy matters, including debt advice, budgeting and welfare benefits.
If you run into difficulties that might affect your tenancy, contact your Housing Officer who will work with you to understand your circumstances and explore options and things you can do to improve your situation so you can manage your tenancy.
Your Housing Officer has access to expert support in relation to debt management, budgeting and welfare benefits.
So if you are struggling or worried about money, contact your housing office to find out about the help available.
Hampshire Credit Union
Hampshire Credit Union is a local community-based Credit Union which can provide affordable loans, current accounts and saving accounts for its members. If you have to borrow money, it may offer a more affordable alternative to some of the high cost loans available.
- Phone 023 9282 7980 - Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 4.30pm
- Visit 97 Fratton Road, Portsmouth, PO1 5AG - Monday - Friday, 10am - 2pm