The chain and badge are the outward signs of the office of the Lord Mayor. The chain is worn within the city when performing official civic functions, important ceremonial occasions and also as appropriate at other times, such as opening conferences, fetes and new businesses.
The chain may also be worn when paying visits to such places as schools, churches and the emergency services, at the Lord Mayor’s discretion. The badge is only worn outside the city on official engagements and is worn according to protocol – permission is sought from the Mayor or Chairman of the Borough to be visited.
The chain comprises a clasp in the shape of the ancient Domus Dei, from which plain rectangular links (with the names of successive Mayors and Lord Mayors inscribed on them) pass on either side to shields engraved with the obverse and reverse of the corporate seal. The links then change their shape to a handsome bold curb; part plain and part engraved. On the next shields the maritime anchors stand in full relief and the centre shield bears the crest of Henry Ford, Mayor in 1859, when the chain was acquired.
From the Chain hangs the badge, a massive pendant in rich scrollwork supporting a shield with the star and crescent crossed at the back by the mace and sword of state. Engraved on the back of the badge is the legend:
“Purchased by subscription amongst the burgesses and presented to the Worshipful the Mayor of Corporation of the Borough during the Mayoralty of Henry Ford Esq., under a committee composed of G Cressweller Esq. (Chairman), Mr Alderman Orange, Mr LA Vandenburgh, Mr WO Marshall, Mr E M Frost, Mr H D Davey, Mr E M Wells, Mr Dudley, Mr G Rake, Mr W Treadgold, Mr G Long, Mr William D King (Hon Sec) Portsmouth, September 1859
The diamond-studded crown over the enamelled scroll bears the words “Jubilee V 1887 R Year” and now surmounts the Mayor’s crest in the centre of the Chain, with the following inscription “Presented by A S Blake Esq., Mayor, 1885-86”.